What's new

Trivia Which is correct: "looking forward to meeting you" or "I look forward to meet you"?

plhbg1

Forum Master
Elite
Solutions
Reaction
The first option is incorrect because it is incomplete.
It should be: “I’m looking forward to meeting you.”
Otherwise, it is correct.

The second option is incorrect because you need to look forward to a thing—a noun—not an infinitive verb.

The first option uses a gerund, “meeting,” which functions as a noun.

Both expressions are grammatically correct, but they are used in slightly different contexts.

"I look forward to meeting you" is the most common and formal way to express anticipation for a future event. You would use this in business emails or other formal communication.

"I look forward to meet you" is less commonly used and may sound awkward to some native English speakers. This is because the verb "look forward to" is typically followed by a gerund (a verb ending in -ing) or a noun.

So, in most cases, it's best to use "I look forward to meeting you".

- galing kay chatgpt ts

Both expressions are grammatically correct, but they are used in slightly different contexts.

"I look forward to meeting you" is the most common and formal way to express anticipation for a future event. You would use this in business emails or other formal communication.

"I look forward to meet you" is less commonly used and may sound awkward to some native English speakers. This is because the verb "look forward to" is typically followed by a gerund (a verb ending in -ing) or a noun.

So, in most cases, it's best to use "I look forward to meeting you".

- galing kay chatgpt ts
chatGPT also made it clear that "look forward to" is followed by noun or gerund so it re-inforced the opening post