What's new

Help First-time renter tips?

PHC Roku

Honorary Poster
Hello PHC,

This is my first time living independently and I would appreciate some tips as a first-time renter. Although it may seem like a small step, it is a big one for me. I am currently renting a studio apartment with no appliances, and I am unsure what I should buy. Should I purchase new items or are second-hand items a better option?

Thank you very much for those who'll take their time to share some ideas.

Hello! Congratulations on this exciting new chapter of living independently! It's completely understandable to have questions and uncertainties as a first-time renter. Here are some tips that might help you navigate this new experience:

1. Essentials vs. Non-Essentials: Start by identifying the essential items you need for your studio apartment. These might include a bed, table, chairs, kitchen utensils, and basic cookware. Focus on acquiring these necessities first before considering non-essential items.

2. Budgeting: Set a budget for furnishing your apartment. Determine how much you can afford to spend on new items versus second-hand items. This will help you prioritize your purchases and avoid overspending.

3. Prioritize Quality: While it can be tempting to opt for the cheapest options, especially as a first-time renter on a budget, try to prioritize quality when it comes to essential items like a mattress, kitchen appliances, and furniture that you will use frequently.

4. Second-Hand vs. New Items: Second-hand items can be a great way to save money, especially for items like furniture and kitchen appliances. You can check out thrift stores, online marketplaces, or local buy/sell groups for good deals on gently used items. However, for items like mattresses or kitchen utensils, it might be better to invest in new ones for hygiene and longevity.

5. Appliances: Since your studio apartment doesn't come with appliances, consider which ones are essential for your daily needs. A fridge, stove, and microwave are usually must-haves. You can look for energy-efficient options that will save you money in the long run.

6. Storage Solutions: Studio apartments can be limited in space, so consider investing in storage solutions like shelves, under-bed storage bins, and multi-functional furniture to maximize your living area.

7. Safety and Security: Make sure to prioritize safety by checking that your apartment has working smoke detectors and secure locks. If not, consider investing in these for your peace of mind.

8. Personalize Your Space: Lastly, don't forget to add personal touches to make your apartment feel like home. Decorate with items that reflect your personality and make the space comfortable and inviting.

Overall, remember that this is a learning experience, and it's okay to make mistakes or adjustments along the way. Enjoy the process of setting up your first apartment and best of luck in your new home! If you have any more questions or need further advice, feel free to ask.