What's new

Use of AI: Which Argument do you find more compelling?

Kaplok Kaplok

Forum Veteran
Elite
Reaction
We now live in an era where AI is developing so fast that it has spun some controversy. One of the controversy is the usage of ChatGPT by students to create writing materials which is considered "cheating" by a lot of people.

Argument Against using ChatGPT

The use of ChatGPT on school activities robs the student off of the learning process of creative literary thinking. Most of the activities are created as exercise for them to learn and deal with fragments of information and ideas from various sources and produce literature of a given objective.
Students who are allowed to use tools like ChatGPT will have less or none of this skill and when placed in a working environment, they will lack the avenues and competence to perform their role, more specifically in positions where argumentation, bargaining and convincing skills are required. This is present in most fields specially on leadership positions.
Besides, tools like ChatGPT will not always be available, and dependence on it will cripple a person when it is not available. It is more efficient to have the skills ingrained in the person.

Arguments for using ChatGPT

ChatGPT is a tool. All tools are created to reduce effort and time in working on one area, and to be able to divert your remaining effort and time to the more creative and the 'thinking' aspects of the said work.
Like Einstein said "do not memorize something you can look up in books." He is implying that you should maximize the use of your tools and resources.
It is more productive if we adjust and modernize the skills we are teaching in schools to be more updated and in-sync with whatever tools we already have. This is an opportunity for us to divert the teaching to more complex skills, rather than removing a tool and teaching students skills that will not be useful by the time that they graduate.
We cannot deny that every people will have a powerful computer in their pocket everytime.

Which argument so you find more compelling? And why?

I'd say that using ChatGPT is making students lazy. They seem to be allowing this tool to think for them, while their brain remains dependent of AI. Wouldn't it be best that they allow their brain to exercise?

i have my own argument and is somewhat agreeing on the second argument of the opening post in which AI should only be a tool, it is nearly almost everything can be harmful depending on the usage, it is not only AI but even a phone can be harmful as well if not used properly, so we just use AI within the "tool" limits

I'd say that using ChatGPT is making students lazy. They seem to be allowing this tool to think for them, while their brain remains dependent of AI. Wouldn't it be best that they allow their brain to exercise?
Like mentioned in argument #2.. maybe we should adjust what is being taught in schools.? Maybe, the skills we demand from students are outdated, and forcing them to learn skills that will be unneccessary for the future is not productive?

i have my own argument and is somewhat agreeing on the second argument of the opening post in which AI should only be a tool, it is nearly almost everything can be harmful depending on the usage, it is not only AI but even a phone can be harmful as well if not used properly, so we just use AI within the "tool" limits
Actually, we can consider this idea covered by idea number 2. Isnt it possible to divert education to "properly using" the tool, rather than performing the task without the tool? The tool will remain a tool only If we produce lessons and skills that trancends the capability of the tool itself. This can be done by focusing our efforts on things the "tool" is not capable yet.

Here is an analogy:
A power drill is a tool. It will be stupid to say nowadays that using a drill is "cheating" and "lazy", and everyone should learn to make holes without a power drill.
Despite a drill possibly being a dangerous tool, we still use it.. and we focus training on safely handling a drill. The efforts of the user will now be diverted to other aspects of the project instead of making holes considering the time and effort saved by using a power drill.

Actually, we can consider this idea covered by idea number 2. Isnt it possible to divert education to "properly using" the tool, rather than performing the task without the tool? The tool will remain a tool only If we produce lessons and skills that trancends the capability of the tool itself. This can be done by focusing our efforts on things the "tool" is not capable yet.

Here is an analogy:
A power drill is a tool. It will be stupid to say nowadays that using a drill is "cheating" and "lazy", and everyone should learn to make holes without a power drill.
Despite a drill possibly being a dangerous tool, we still use it.. and we focus training on safely handling a drill. The efforts of the user will now be diverted to other aspects of the project instead of making holes considering the time and effort saved by using a power drill.
that would mean in the future ay isa na lang yung subject: computer science na lang to learn how to use AI hehe but i see nothing wrong with it if that's the future of education at least it saved students from lot of things

that would mean in the future ay isa na lang yung subject: computer science na lang to learn how to use AI hehe but i see nothing wrong with it if that's the future of education at least it saved students from lot of things
Sa ngayon it seems that way. Baka everything will be education towards different branches of comsci, info-tech like robotics, information security.. pero di natin masasabi kung may mga bago na hindi lng natin ma imagine ngayon. Kasi like before internet era, maraming mga profession ngayon na we never even imagine back then.

How I see it, what students are doing now is just what students of my time were doing - copying and pasting wikipedia and google search results. While today's technology is more advanced, human ways are common. Regardless of what comes next, I doubt may magbabago. What really needs to change (opinion ko lang) is our education system. Medyo traditional kasi tayo with our ways and unmotivated faculty is not looking to improve curriculum.

Educators need to find ways to get their students engaged, then maybe they won't rely too much on automated systems if they're genuinely curious about things.

Hindi kasalanan ng chatgpt. Kasalanan ng student. What I meant na nasa student na iyon. Wala naman ipinagkaiba kahit tanggalin ang chatgpt. Mag checheat pa rin sila sa ibang way gamit ang search and computer. Copy and paste uli. Yung chatgpt naman kase ay summarize lang din iyan na ipinagkukuhanan sa search engine. Same lang naman din.

Kung gusto na walang cheat , tanggalin na lang ang buong computer. Haha. Mapipilitan sila magpunta sa library and I am sure, hindi nila kaya ecopy paste ang buong libro noh? haha.​

Last edited:
How I see it, what students are doing now is just what students of my time were doing - copying and pasting wikipedia and google search results. While today's technology is more advanced, human ways are common. Regardless of what comes next, I doubt may magbabago. What really needs to change (opinion ko lang) is our education system. Medyo traditional kasi tayo with our ways and unmotivated faculty is not looking to improve curriculum.

Educators need to find ways to get their students engaged, then maybe they won't rely too much on automated systems if they're genuinely curious about things.
Bottomline, yung curriculum talaga ang problema kung saan outdated. Gaya nga ng sabi ko sa argument 2 quoting Einstein "do not memorize something than can be looked up in books," marami sa mga activities ng school ay based sa memorization.

However, this to give credit to argument 1, back then students atleast get the opportunity to summarize a certain topic in their own words, vs now even the summarization is already done for them. So somehow disadvantaged yung gumagamit ng ChatGPT.

Hindi kasalanan ng chatgpt. Kasalanan ng student. What I meant na nasa student na iyon. Wala naman ipinagkaiba kahit tanggalin ang chatgpt. Mag checheat pa rin sila sa ibang way gamit ang search and computer. Copy and paste uli. Yung chatgpt naman kase ay summarize lang din iyan na ipinagkukuhanan sa search engine. Same lang naman din.

Kung gusto na walang cheat , tanggalin na lang ang buong computer. Haha. Mapipilitan sila magpunta sa library and I am sure, hindi nila kaya ecopy paste ang buong libro noh? haha.​
Actually hindi nmn aim ng topic hanapin kung sino nay kasalanan. It is more of a discussion of, "is using AI cheating, or should it be accepted as a tool"

Last edited:
marami sa mga activities ng school ay based sa memorization.
actually yung curriculum now is already teacher-guided instead of the old teacher-dominated discussions, meaning the students are hands on during classes (students na yung nagre-research at nagde-deliver ng lesson unless the teacher disobeys the mandated curriculum) and teachers just monitor, nalaman ko iyan when i took some professional education subjects, ang problema lang is yung assessment of student learning which is prerogative pa din ni teacher kung anong klaseng test ang ibibigay to assess the students' learning, most of the exams are still multiple choice which is purely memory lang, easy to score kasi kaya yan palagi ginagamit as compared to essay type (research, projects, portfolio, etc.) which is mahirap i-score

Last edited:
actually yung curriculum now is already teacher-guided instead of the old teacher-dominated discussions, meaning the students are hands on during classes (students na yung nagre-research at nagde-deliver ng lesson unless the teacher disobeys the mandated curriculum) and teachers just monitor, nalaman ko iyan when i took some professional education subjects, ang problema lang is yung assessment of student learning which is prerogative pa din ni teacher kung anong klaseng test ang ibibigay to assess the students' learning, most of the exams are still multiple choice which is purely memory lang, easy to score kasi kaya yan palagi ginagamit as compared to essay type (research, projects, portfolio, etc.) which is mahirap i-score
The thing with essays kasi e mahirap gawan ng black and white re: scoring, medyo subjective ang scores and more often than not, on top yung mga favorites.

The thing with essays kasi e mahirap gawan ng black and white re: scoring, medyo subjective ang scores and more often than not, on top yung mga favorites.
yeah kasi objective daw dapat pati board exams nga multiple choice din, kaya ayun mga students babanat lang tuwing exams sa memory tas kakalimutan lang after, kung naging teacher ako yung magiging style ko is essay type then i let students rate themselves tas defend lang nila yung rating if ever disagree ako

yeah kasi objective daw dapat pati board exams nga multiple choice din, kaya ayun mga students babanat lang tuwing exams sa memory tas kakalimutan lang after, kung naging teacher ako yung magiging style ko is essay type then i let students rate themselves tas defend lang nila yung rating if ever disagree ako
this is a good take on the scoring system, kaso time consuming lalo na if you're teaching multiple classes.

Like mentioned in argument #2.. maybe we should adjust what is being taught in schools.? Maybe, the skills we demand from students are outdated, and forcing them to learn skills that will be unneccessary for the future is not productive?

Here is an analogy:
May I know which learning area is not beneficial to the students? I don't think that there is "real" productivity in cheating—that is, being lazy and dependent of AI. Sure, this may help them with their works in school, but the reason why they were sent to school is to get quality education. If this is not true to the students, they can maybe create their own institute where they are thought merely by AIs, which most probably can't be empathetic. AIs can't communicate with learners spiritually and emotionally, the way humans can. I can't imagine a future where learners no longer have the ability or gut to socialize.

May I know which learning area is not beneficial to the students? I don't think that there is "real" productivity in cheating—that is, being lazy and dependent of AI. Sure, this may help them with their works in school, but the reason why they were sent to school is to get quality education. If this is not true to the students, they can maybe create their own institute where they are thought merely by AIs, which most probably can't be empathetic. AIs can't communicate with learners spiritually and emotionally, the way humans can. I can't imagine a future where learners no longer have the ability or gut to socialize.
Think about it. Marami sa itinuturo sa school ay methodical at data memorization. If we have a tool to handle this in society, therefore we don't need this skills anymore. Through AI we and the internet, we dont have to memorize and focus on the methods when it comes to education, which means school can focus more on socialization teaching, creativity, and out of the box solutions which computers and machines are normally not too good at.
And actually it will be a more empathetic teaching process than we have now, which is really training us to be a just number within a big company which will eventually be an obsolete career, kasi machines are just better at methodic and data handling skills.

Actually hindi nmn aim ng topic hanapin kung sino nay kasalanan. It is more of a discussion of, "is using AI cheating, or should it be accepted as a tool"

Subjective lang ang sinabi ko about kung sino ang may kasalanan. Tinamad kase ako mag explain ng meron objectivity hehe.

Ang sagot ay depende sa gumagamit. Cheating lang ang paggamit ng AI kapag sinabi ng teacher na do not use AI like for example, chatgpt, and then gumamit pa rin ang student na hindi alam ang teacher, well, of course cheating siya or kung kailangan ng creative writing para eenahance ang creativity mismo ng student pagkatapos gumamit siya ng AI ay consider cheating siya. Hindi kase matututo ang student ng pagkakaroon ng creativity pagdating sa writing lalo na kailangan nito in the future job if ever....

...but accepted tool like siya like me, hehe, kapag nagkicreate ako ng own website. E since time consuming ang mag-aaral-aral pa ako on how to write an article for website lalo na kung nangangailangan ng pera, gumagamit ako ng AI sa chagpt. Pina-pa write ko siya ng article for my website pero siyempre, ini-edit ko pa siya, pini-paraphrase ko pa siya at chinicheck ko pa sa plagiarism free online tool para safe. Hindi naman ako student so ginagamit ko siya as tool.

...so ang sagot ko is depende po sa gumagamit. Nasa tao po iyon talaga. Its like a knife. Yung knife is available sa lahat pero depende sa gumagamit kung gagamitin nito sa masama o gagamitin nito bilang defend.

Ganun lang po.

...pero siguro kapag graphic design course or meron kilalaman sa arts or whatever , siguro pwede e-allow ng teacher ang student na gamitin ang AI kung wala naman kilalaman sa writing class para ma reduce ang pressure or whatever but still, depende pa rin sa teacher po iyon.

Ako kase, wala ako hilig sa writing and it takes too long para pag-aralan kung papaano mag sulat ng writing for website so gumagamit ako ng AI talaga. Mahilig lang ako mag design sa canva, photoshop at website pero wala akong hilig magsulat.​

Last edited:
siguro pwede e-allow ng teacher ang student na gamitin ang AI kung wala naman kilalaman sa writing class para ma reduce ang pressure or whatever but still, depende pa rin sa teacher po iyon.
In defense of the first argument, ang pagkakaroon ng pressure ay part ng training sa studyante. Hindi nmn kailangan maging writer ka para mag aral magsulat, dahil siguradong magsusulat ka in the professional world, from emails, to making a compelling argument in defense of your professional decisions. Importante yan. Kasama ang pressure sa kahit anong trabaho.
Gaya ng trabaho ko bilang mekaniko, importante na malinaw ko ipaliwanag ang ginawa ko sa logs. At (knock on wood) pag may nadisgrasya na pasahero, importanteng depensahan ko ang sarili ko professionally at lahat yan ay in form of writing.

In defense of the first argument, ang pagkakaroon ng pressure ay part ng training sa studyante. Hindi nmn kailangan maging writer ka para mag aral magsulat, dahil siguradong magsusulat ka in the professional world, from emails, to making a compelling argument in defense of your professional decisions. Importante yan. Kasama ang pressure sa kahit anong trabaho.​

Um... mali ata ang katagang sinabi ko na "para ma-reduce ang pressure" - hindi ko maisip kung ano ang alternative word. Lahat naman ng sitwasyon ay meron pressure. What I meant is para mapabilis ang "proseso" - ayun. Tipong ma-reduce ang time consuming ba. Hindi ko alam kung tama ang word na sinabi ko - tipong para mapadali kung walang kilalaman sa specific "subject" like for example, puros "art" - mga ganun pagkatapos meron a little bit of "writing" na kailangan e-apply........ tipong sakaling hindi "kinakailangan" ay ayun na baka meron possibility na pagamitin ng teacher or kung sino man namamahala sa buong class ang AI - mga ganun. Again , depende lang sa teacher kase iyon or depende lang sa tao na gumagamit. Case to case basis naman po kase.

Ako kase, naka-asa ako sa AI chat gpt kaysa naman magha-hired pa ako ng mga article writer para sa website na ginagawa ko. Wala akong pera ni isang singko. Ito nga lang ginagawa ko na website ay hindi ko nga malaman kung magiging successful ako o hindi dahil ako lang mag-isa na gumagawa. Sarili ko as in. Tipong libangan lang but at the same time , gusto ko pagkakitaan ang ginawa kong website. Ganun - pero siguro kapag meron nag-hired sa akin if ever lang naman , depende din sa client ko if ever kung e-aallow ako gamitin ang AI chat gpt dahil kung nagmamadali naman din siya katulad ko pagdating sa pera at gusto niya ng easy process para tapos na ang lahat , e di meron kami tools na tutulong sa pagsulat ng written article for website pero kung gusto ng client ko na pang-matagalan na umaabot ng "siyam-siyam" , e di hindi ako gagamit ng AI kung iyon ang gusto ng client ko. Depende lang talaga.

I mean for me, bakit ako magtitiyaga sa ke-haba-haba ng pupuntahan kung meron naman "short cut" na kung baga , bakit ako magtitiyaga maglakad from my house to the house of the president kung meron naman kotse. Ika nga work smart raw , not work hard - haha joke 😂

Best friend ko , nang nagtatrabaho siya sa company , lagi siya nag-sho-short cut para matapos ang work niya. Magaling po kase iyon sa math. Nasa accounting po kase siya. Meron daw sila sinusunod na step-by-step process sa pagcompute pagdating sa mga numbers. Yung best friend ko ay hindi niya talaga sinusunod ang step-by-step process na iyon. Meron siyang techniques para ma-solve or ma-compute niya ang mga numbers kaya ang bilils niya matapos.

Sa loob-loob ko nga na para saan ba iyon step-by-step process na sinusunod nila sa pag-compute. Pinapahirapan lang sila. Meron naman short-cut. But siyempre , yung best friend ko na iyon , hindi niya ipinapaalam sa ibang tao. Secret lang niya iyon. Except lang ako. Sa akin niya sinasabi.

Last edited:
Back