What's new

Tutorial Notion R281 OpenWrt Test Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Yes you can try tftpboot-ing images, but I don't need to do that, when I could git clone the Openwrt repo and view the device tree files and image makefiles of those images, and select from them the most suitable values for this device.

Have you tried porting the device yourself? Because if you have, then you would already know answer to your question regarding the pcie section of the device tree I'm using, which is very common among devices under the same soc.

I'v been using this firmware build for the past week as a router. It works as expected and did not experience any downtime caused by this router.

Regarding with the modem side, I was able to get a signal with my dito sim (openline by deleting IMEI), but its like its operating separately from the AP. I'm curious if it also shows as "Network device not present" in your test build?

I don't have any knowledge in building firmware/porting and also I'm new with OpenWRT and linux but I'm willing to learn and help in testing this firmware. My modem is version is PLDT 4.2 | Baseband 2.2.

Regarding with the modem side, I was able to get a signal with my dito sim (openline by deleting IMEI), but its like its operating separately from the AP. I'm curious if it also shows as "Network device not present" in your test build?
Thanks for testing and providing some feedback. You are correct in your observation that the LTE module is operating on its own.

This is the same as the dongles from the past that were used to provide 3G/4G internet connections to desktops and laptops via USB, only this time the dongle resides on a mini PCIe board that is inserted in an mPCIe slot or soldered directly to the mainboard. Even though it is PCIe, the connection is still USB.

Regarding "network device not present," you need to add some modem init timeout value in the advanced settings of the connection under Network > Interfaces to allow the modem to fully initialize, including signal detection, before you can start sending commands to it. By default this is zero, which means no delay. The modem initialization script may fail and result in the error above or something else if there is no proper delay. This will require either changing a value in the connection settings BEFORE restarting the interface (restarting will simply not work if an error has occurred for the interface), or restart the router entirely.

But, before you can successfully initialize the modem, you need to supply the correct AT commands for it. Look at /etc/gcom/ncm.js for examples on modem initialization for other brands. The modem for this unit falls under "marvell". The commands you'll see there are for ZTE MF286R/A, which unfortunately doesn't work for this unit.

Last edited:
Thanks for testing and providing some feedback. You are correct in your observation that the LTE module is operating on its own.

This is the same as the dongles from the past that were used to provide 3G/4G internet connections to desktops and laptops via USB, only this time the dongle resides on a mini PCIe board that is inserted in an mPCIe slot or soldered directly to the mainboard. Even though it is PCIe, the connection is still USB.

Regarding "network device not present," you need to add some modem init timeout value in the advanced settings of the connection under Network > Interfaces to allow the modem to fully initialize, including signal detection, before you can start sending commands to it. By default this is zero, which means no delay. The modem initialization script may fail and result in the error above or something else if there is no proper delay. This will require either changing a value in the connection settings BEFORE restarting the interface (restarting will simply not work if an error has occurred for the interface), or restart the router entirely.

But, before you can successfully initialize the modem, you need to supply the correct AT commands for it. Look at /etc/gcom/ncm.js for examples on modem initialization for other brands. The modem for this unit falls under "marvell". The commands you'll see there are for ZTE MF286R/A, which unfortunately doesn't work for this unit.
Thank you so much for the info. I have already set the modem init timeout. So the "network device not present" error will only clear only if the correct AT command is sent for the modem to fully initialize?

I don't know if this might be helpful but here is a atcmdsrv file I extracted from a bin file (Baseband 2.0) shared here by someone. When opened with notepad++ or Ghex in linux I was able to view some AT commands that might be the AT commands the modem accepts. I'm not entirely sure.

atcmdsrv file: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

I got the idea from You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Screenshot 2022-08-21 010744.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info. I have already set the modem init timeout. So the "network device not present" error will only clear only if the correct AT command is sent for the modem to fully initialize?
Nope. Gaya ng nabanggit ko, kailangan mong may baguhin na value sa connection settings nung interface BAGO gumana ang restart interface button. Ma clear out kasi nito ang error status. Sa akin, ganito ang ginagawa ko sa terminal:

Code:
# uci set network.<ifname>.delay=xx; service network reload #replace <ifname> and xx with a different delay value than currently set

Ganito ako mag restart ng interface na nagka error para sa anumang kadahilanan, kasama na ang "network device not present".

I don't know if this might be helpful but here is a atcmdsrv file I extracted from a bin file (Baseband 2.0) shared here by someone. When opened with notepad++ or Ghex in linux I was able to view some AT commands that might be the AT commands the modem accepts. I'm not entirely sure.
Yes ganyan kumuha ng mga hints sa tamang commands para sa modem. Hindi lahat dyan ay gagana at hindi rin lahat ng commands ay makikita dyan, pero isa yan sa mga panimulang pamamaraan ng pagtuklas.

Nope. Gaya ng nabanggit ko, kailangan mong may baguhin na value sa connection settings nung interface BAGO gumana ang restart interface button. Ma clear out kasi nito ang error status. Sa akin, ganito ang ginagawa ko sa terminal:

Code:
# uci set network.<ifname>.delay=xx; service network reload #replace <ifname> and xx with a different delay value than currently set

Ganito ako mag restart ng interface na nagka error para sa anumang kadahilanan, kasama na ang "network device not present".

Yes ganyan kumuha ng mga hints sa tamang commands para sa modem. Hindi lahat dyan ay gagana at hindi rin lahat ng commands ay makikita dyan, pero isa yan sa mga panimulang pamamaraan ng pagtuklas.
Do you still have the makefile and the DTS for this modem?
I need to install kernel modules to install the qos packge.
Thank you.

Update:

Okay na, nakapag build na ako. Tinanggal ko lang yung WWAN features, at nag install ako ng kernel mod para sa QoS.

Last edited:
hindi ko pa na try yung sa openvpn
pag may free time ka try mo naman boss kahit anong config cguro gagana yan kasi may GB balance ka. at pa try narin sa google kung nag-iba ba ang IP Address mo.

pag may free time ka try mo naman boss kahit anong config cguro gagana yan kasi may GB balance ka. at pa try narin sa google kung nag-iba ba ang IP Address mo.
kung nagana to sayu ibig sabihin pwede din sa iphunt yan at pang bypass ng promo

Status
Not open for further replies.