What's new

No reconciliation in sight for Nonito Donaire Jr and dad

FORMER world championYou do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. and his father are at it again.

And sadly, things are worse.

In the latest love-hate episode between father and son, the ‘Filipino Flash’ went to social media and admitted being badly affected by the recent pronouncements by Nonito Sr just prior to his You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.against Alexandro Santiago.

The 40-year-old four-division champion said it was painful "hearing my dad say he’s training guys to beat me n teach me a lesson n predict I’m going to get koed just so he can point n laugh."

The elder Donaire of course, is the current trainer of Reymart Gaballo, who still campaigns in the bantamweight division despite suffering a fourth-round stoppage against Nonito Jr for the WBC 118lbs belt in 2021.

Following the loss, Gaballo’s camp decided to take in Donaire Sr as his new trainer.

Just last week, Donaire Sr. said his son will lost by knockout against Santiago in their WBC title fight in the undercard of the Terrence Crawford-Errol Spence undisputed welterweight championship match.

“Knockout siya,” said Nonito Sr. when he was asked by a netizen about his prediction on the Donaire-Santiago fight in the livestream of boxer Mike Plania.

The young Donaire You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. in a failed bid to become the oldest bantamweight to win a world crown at age 40.

"
Wow. Just found out that my DAD was predicting I’d get koed by Santiago. That stings differently,” said Donaire Jr in another tweet.

Donaire Jr. assured he won’t let his kids go through the same process he had with his father.

“I AM breaking generational trauma. N if this process has to hurt, I’ll take it to ensure my kids never have to feel what I have felt,” he said.

The first ballot Hall of Famer later added, “But…I will lead my heart open and vulnerable and hold a safe space of growth love and understanding so my kids and their kids will NEVER have to feel what I’m feeling.”

He also had a message to his father and former trainer.

“Again Dad, I wish u nothing but happiness. I hope u find that so ur heart will be at peace,” said Nonito Jr.

The elder Donaire worked the corner of his son when he won the first of his nine world titles in 2007 following a sensational fifth-round TKO of the highly-favored Vic Darchinyan to wrest the IBF flyweight crown.

But the union didn't last as the Donaires would split and later on, reconciled with each other time and time again.

They last parted ways in 2021 prior to Donaire scoring a fourth-round knockout against Nordine Oubaali to wrest the WBC crown, with Nonito’s wife Rachel taking over as his trainer.

Donaire Jr. said he didn’t fire his father.

“He quit. I never fired him,” he said. “N then Rache got the WBC trainers belt bc she was the only 1 in camp. N it snowballed from there him coming after her.”

Shortly after taking over as Gaballo trainer, the elder Donaire also went to social media and labelled his son ‘ungrateful,’ claiming Nonito Jr. took it against him when he decided to train Gaballo.

Donaire Sr. also said he was not preparing Gaballo against his son as they thought his fighter would be facing Paul Butler for a title eliminator fight back then.

Butler would later face Japanese ‘Monster’ Naoya Inoue and lost in their undisputed bantamweight title match.

Meanwhile, the dispute between Donaire Sr. and Jr continues to rage on.

Back