What's new

Help Help

CoolsEege

Journeyman
"Checking Out a Guest*
Retrieved from:
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
A guest walked up to the front-desk agent, Karen Fredrickson, in an upscale hotel, ready to check out. As she would usually do when checking out a guest, Karen asked the guest what his room number was. The guest was in a hurry and showed his anxiety by responding, I stay in a hundred hotel rooms and you expect me to rerember my room number?*
Karen then asked for the guest's name, to which he responded, "My name is Mr. Johnstone." After thanking him, she began to look for the guest's last name, but the name was not listed in the computer. Because the man had a heavy accent and Karen assumed that she had misunderstood him, she politely asked the guest to spell his last name. He answered, What? Are you an idiot? The person who checked me in last night had no problem checking me in. Again, Karen looked on the computer to find the guest.
The guest, becoming even more frustrated, said, *I have a plane to catch and it is ridiculous that it has to take this long to check me out. I also need to fax these papers off, but I need to have them photocopied first." Karen responded, "There is a business center at the end of the counter that will fax and photocopy what you need." The guest replied, If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked you for it. Haven't you ever heard of guest service? Isn't this a five-star hotel? With your bad attitude, you should be working in a three-star hotel. I can't believe they let you work here at the front desk. Haven't you found my name yet?"
Karen, who was beginning to get upset, asked the guest again to spell out his full name.
The quest only replied. "Here are my papers I want faxed if you are capable of faxing them.* Karen reached to take the papers, and the guest shouted, "Don't grab them from my hand! You have a bad attitude, and if I had more time, I would talk to someone about getting you removed from your position to a hotel where they don't require such a level of guest service." Though very upset, Karen kept her manner calm to prevent the guest from getting angrier.
Continuing to provide service to the guest, Karen sent the faxes and made the photocopies he had requested. Upon her return, she again asked the guest to repeat his last name because he had failed to spell it out. The guest replied by spelling out his name. *J-o-h-n-s-l-o-n-e." With that clarification, Karen was finally able to find his name on the computer and check him out while he continued to verbally attack her. Karen finished the encounter by telling the guest to have a nice flight.

Case study Analysis:
Answer this base on your own understanding in a paragraph form
1. Would it be appropriate to have the manager finish the checkout when this sort of difficulty with a guest arises? Or should the front desk agent just take the heat?
2. Would you have handled the situation in the same manner?
3. What would you have done differently?

1. In this case, it would be appropriate to have the manager step in and finish the checkout when such difficulty with a guest arises. The front desk agent, Karen, has already made several attempts to assist the guest and handle the situation professionally. However, the guest's behavior has escalated to verbal attacks and insults towards Karen. At this point, the manager should intervene to ensure the guest is served and to support Karen in dealing with this difficult situation. It is important for the manager to address the guest's inappropriate behavior and find a resolution while also ensuring the well-being and emotional support of the front desk agent.

2. If I were in Karen's position, I would have handled the situation similarly. Karen remained calm and professional throughout the encounter, despite the guest's verbal abuse. She continued to provide the necessary services and attempted to find a resolution to the guest's issue. It is important to maintain composure and professionalism when faced with difficult guests, as reacting emotionally or engaging in a confrontational manner may worsen the situation. Karen's behavior demonstrates her commitment to providing quality service despite the challenging circumstances.

3. In this situation, I would have utilized the hotel's policy regarding abusive or disrespectful behavior from guests. I would inform the guest that their behavior is unacceptable and remind them of the importance of treating hotel staff with respect. If the guest's behavior continued to escalate, I would involve the manager or security to ensure the safety and well-being of both the staff and other guests. Additionally, I would document the incident and report it to the appropriate superiors for further action or follow-up if necessary. It is crucial to address and handle instances of guest misconduct to maintain a safe and respectful environment for both employees and guests.