What's new

Closed Corrupt internal hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Phc,Mlimani from Kenya.not computer savvy,Hp 250 G3 notebook corrupt hard disk,booting ubuntu live i can see the hard disk unallocated with a red ! .it says the hard disk lacks partition table.B4 these happaned was running into bsod about registry issues wanted to salvage my data b4 i can create partion table which i think will erase all my data any helps will be highly APPRECIATED:)

Use Testdisk and Photorec tools. Its available in linux distros. Its probably comparable or even more effective than the commercial ones. Its a little overwhelming for the casual user though as its mostly a command line interface. You can use another GUI frontend for them though.

Testdisk is best used for partition related problems and Photorec is for deleted files caused by formatting and etc...

Depending on the severity of the problem you may be able to recover all or at least some of the files.

the only way you can do this re-install OS don't not format it.
you will see in drive C the windows old file so that you will recover your file without using external hdd.

Last edited:
the only way you can do this re-install OS don't not format it you will the windows old so that you will recover your file without using external hdd.

He is trying to recover files on a corrupt hard disk not a corrupted Operating system.

The last thing you should do on a situation like this is to write anything on that hard disk as it could overwrite all the data you are trying to recover. You are practically worsening the problem with your suggestion.

That tip would work if the partition and file system is still in good condition with all the proper information still intact like file names, location of data, size of data and etc...

He is trying to recover files on a corrupt hard disk not a corrupted Operating system.

The last thing you should do on a situation like this is to write anything on that hard disk as it could overwrite all the data you are trying to recover. You are practically worsening the problem with your suggestion.

That tip would work if the partition and file system is still in good condition with all the proper information still intact like file names, location of data, size of data and etc...

try to use acronis loader

Okay let me explain my problem.
1.started with i turn off pc morning turn on blue screen no any writting with mouse cursor.
2.went to google for assistance=system restore.
3.never worked turn on with a black screen with cursor after restore.
4.tried to reinstall os without losing data problem 500 gb disk full no space for install!c drive 7 gb d was 1 gb free space.
5.next restart instert a bootable media press any key{corrupt hard disk}.
6.ubuntu live cd to salvage data to an external harddisk, disk showing unallocated with a red question mark.
7.also said lacked partition table,tried to create one but in the process i realised all data will be erased.am still trying with testdisk since not familiar with the commands.i think my os is corrupt too last i cud see in boot with installation disk, i cud see files and folders intact but there was a new drive wich wasnt there named boot something dont rem well and installation disk freezes now.also was unable to install testdisk manually no configure for ./configure and still downloading knopix which has testdisk pre intsalled.slow connection.haha
thank you all for suggestions and comments.

Last edited:
Okay let me explain my problem.
1.started with i turn off pc morning turn on blue screen no any writting with mouse cursor.
2.went to google for assistance=system restore.
3.never worked turn on with a black screen with cursor after restore.
4.tried to reinstall os without losing data problem 500 gb disk full no space for install!c drive 7 gb d was 1 gb free space.
5.next restart instert a bootable media press any key{corrupt hard disk}.
6.ubuntu live cd to salvage data to an external harddisk, disk showing unallocated with a red question mark.
7.also said lacked partition table,tried to create one but in the process i realised all data will be erased.am still trying with testdisk since not familiar with the commands.i think my os is corrupt too last i cud see in boot with installation disk, i cud see files and folders intact but there was a new drive wich wasnt there named boot something dont rem well and installation disk freezes now.also was unable to install testdisk manually no configure for ./configure and still downloading knopix which has testdisk pre intsalled.slow connection.haha
thank you all for suggestions and comments.

Was your OS Windows 10?

i removed the harddisk from the laptop put in another catrige to become external harddisk connected to my desktop i saved my c drive 140gb.my problem now is my d drive is corrupt cant open unless i format any ways around that?i get this on my d drive
Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

i removed the harddisk from the laptop put in another catrige to become external harddisk connected to my desktop i saved my c drive 140gb.my problem now is my d drive is corrupt cant open unless i format any ways around that?i get this on my d drive
Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)
thank you so much pHc for all the help i resolved this with the command:chkdsk /f /r I:
I being the drive with the error if you cant boot into the pc use another to solve.all is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back