What's new

Atheists, how do you feel about 1 Corinthians 13 (it's only 13 verses, take 5 mins to read if you haven't done so)?

plhbg1

Forum Master
Elite
Solutions
Reaction
Atheists, how do you feel about 1 Corinthians 13 (it's only 13 verses, take 5 mins to read if you haven't done so)? Do you think it is one of the greatest descriptions of love ever written? It is brilliant. How can this book not be divinely inspired?

Ah yes, good old 1 Corinthians 13:4. One of my favorites! Let’s do a little Bible study together, shall we?

Exodus 20:5
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me
Sure, sounds like the sort of thing a morally perfect god would say. But wait, then we have…

1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
I guess he has some issues expressing his eternal love, sometimes. Anyway, that’s fine. But wait…

1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful
Let’s recap.
  • God is a jealous god.
  • God is love.
  • Love is not jealous.
Do you see any problem here? Take all the time you need.

And poof! Your Yaweh just vanished in a puff of logic.

Hmm, I see where you're coming from. It's an interesting observation you've made regarding the different portrayals of God's characteristics in different verses of the Bible. The Bible is a complex collection of texts written by different authors in different contexts, so it's not uncommon to find varying perspectives and ideas.

Interpreting and understanding these passages can be subjective and depends on one's personal beliefs and theological interpretations. Some may argue that the jealousy mentioned in Exodus is not the same kind of jealousy as described in 1 Corinthians 13, and that the context and intended meanings of these passages differ.

The interpretation of these texts is up to individual readers and their faith traditions. It can be a topic of discussion and debate among theologians and scholars.