What's new

Trivia When the FIFA World Cup trophy was Stolen

Beatriz9

ᴇxᴛʀᴅɴʀʏᴡᴍɴ
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction

When the FIFA World Cup trophy was stolen in 1966, it was found by a dog named Pickles​

The Jules Rimet Trophy was the original prize awarded to the winners of the FIFA World Cup each year, a symbol of athletic excellence. But on March 20, 1966, while enjoying a bit of a tour, the trophy was stolen from the Methodist Central Hall in Westminster, despite the fact that five guards were assigned to protect it. The theft was a huge story and plenty of false leads popped up—as did an eventual ransom note.

However, in the end, it was a four-year-old mixed breed collie named Pickles who noticed the stolen item under a hedge while out on a walk with his owner, Dave Corbett, according to the BBC. Corbett recalled, "Pickles was running around over by my neighbor's car. As I was putting the lead on I noticed this package laying there, wrapped just in newspaper but very tightly bound with string. I tore a bit off the bottom and there was a blank shield, then there were the words Brazil, West Germany, and Uruguay printed. I tore off the other end and it was a lady holding a very shallow dish above her head. I'd seen the pictures of the World Cup in the papers and on TV so my heart started thumping."

Screenshot_2023-06-09-12-54-31-636.jpg

(s) bestlifeonline

Attachments