What's new

Mistranslating What God made Women from

i would say they both refer to ribs, ala refers to ribs emphasizing the curvature and tsela also refers to ribs emphasizing being at the sides

i would say they both refer to ribs, ala refers to ribs emphasizing the curvature and tsela also refers to ribs emphasizing being at the sides

Considering how we use the word "tagliran" in Filipino, I can see how tsela(side) can also mean ribs. But our language might have been influenced by the language use in the Bible as how people understood it for a long time (which is influenced by some misogyny)

Because 'ala' is also a word, It is also possible that the use of the word "side" may not really be referring to a very specific bone, but to more significant part. We do not know the extent of anatomical knowledge that the author have and if the story was written with anatomical realism in mind. We might just be associating our scientific knowledge somewhere we were not meant to do so, and also justifying misogyny in the process.

Considering how we use the word "tagliran" in Filipino, I can see how tsela(side) can also mean ribs. But our language might have been influenced by the language use in the Bible as how people understood it for a long time (which is influenced by some misogyny)

Because 'ala' is also a word, It is also possible that the use of the word "side" may not really be referring to a very specific bone, but to more significant part. We do not know the extent of anatomical knowledge that the author have and if the story was written with anatomical realism in mind. We might just be associating our scientific knowledge somewhere we were not meant to do so, and also justifying misogyny in the process.
back when i was still christian (when i used to read my bible and pray every day), i don't find umabot talaga sa point of misogyny yung intentions, agree ako na meron bias in favor of males but it's not as intense as hating women (as i read it)

back when i was still christian (when i used to read my bible and pray every day), i don't find umabot talaga sa point of misogyny yung intentions, agree ako na meron bias in favor of males but it's not as intense as hating women (as i read it)
Oo nmn, it is not about hate. It is about the significance of women.
Most denominations would really agree with the alternative explanation that ribs being a hard bone that protects vital organs, therefore women Is an important part of man. Pero, inevitably, a rib is just a part of men.. kaya din nmn meron ding mga extremists wherein ang belief nila is wives are meant to serve men. This view and belief can be observed in the Old Testament.

Oo nmn, it is not about hate. It is about the significance of women.
Most denominations would really agree with the alternative explanation that ribs being a hard bone that protects vital organs, therefore women Is an important part of man. Pero, inevitably, a rib is just a part of men.. kaya din nmn meron ding mga extremists wherein ang belief nila is wives are meant to serve men. This view and belief can be observed in the Old Testament.
kahit sa books in the new testament which are written later consistent pa din yung wives submit to your husbands, in favor of males pa din, so that was long the intention of the writers which makes tsela cannot refer to anything else other than ribs or else mawawala yung intention nila, also anatomy was only made available by 3rd century B.C. and a text written around 15th century B.C. will not necessarily hit the specifics but only able to emphasize what is observed like shape and location of something, but if someone insist that it surely means the total half/side of adam then it doesn't hurt me much as long as he doesn't claim the truthiness of it outside of being a literature hehe

kahit sa books in the new testament which are written later consistent pa din yung wives submit to your husbands, in favor of males pa din, so that was long the intention of the writers which makes tsela cannot refer to anything else other than ribs or else mawawala yung intention nila, also anatomy was only made available by 3rd century B.C. and a text written around 15th century B.C. will not necessarily hit the specifics but only able to emphasize what is observed like shape and location of something, but if someone insist that it surely means the total half/side of adam then it doesn't hurt me much as long as he doesn't claim the truthiness of it outside of being a literature hehe
Oo nga kahit sa New Testament umabot yan.. dahil syempre influenced na sya ng culture na nabuo sa Old Testament, and and the current culture during compilation.

Pero kahit nga ung creation myth, it was not even the first version to begin with. Merong narrative kung saan Adam had a first wife, Lilith. Meron din less known narrative na genderless yung first human, which was devided into two.

Redaction and edits are very obvious when you read it. Eve's name only mentioned in genesis 3.. and was only referred to as "the woman" on the first 2 chapters.

So there is a good reason to suspect na meron ibang version kung saan less ang misogyny. It just happened that the version that we got is the popular one... and it was chosen by the same people who compiled the bible in the 2nd century. It went through the filter of whatever kind of beliefs was prominent during compilation.

so kahit maging equally half pa ni adam si eve boss meron pa din misogyny?
By less I meant less than what we have to none at all. There is no intention to certainly predict exactly where. Hindi din nmn kasi natin fully mai-attribite ang misogyny to religion dahil maraming factors ang nagcocontribute jan.

Alam mo ba meron din Indian theology kung saan lalake si Eva at babae si Adam. So it could also go the other direction.

By less I meant less than what we have to none at all. There is no intention to certainly predict exactly where. Hindi din nmn kasi natin fully mai-attribite ang misogyny to religion dahil maraming factors ang nagcocontribute jan.

Alam mo ba meron din Indian theology kung saan lalake si Eva at babae si Adam. So it could also go the other direction.
yup depende sa pag interpret iyan eh, but as far as my interpretation is concern ay bias pa din in favor of males si bible and since nakuha ko na yung intention ng writers it will affect the way i give meanings, mas favorable na din sakin yung bias meanings compared to equals