What's new

Help Give example of assonance

Assonance is a literary technique where the repetition of vowel sounds occurs in nearby words. It creates a musical and melodic effect in the text. Here are a few examples of assonance:

1. "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain." - This line from the musical "My Fair Lady" showcases the repetition of the long "a" sound in "rain," "Spain," "mainly," and "plain."

2. "Old age should burn and rave at close of day." - This line from Dylan Thomas' poem "Do not go gentle into that good night" repeats the long "a" sound in "age," "rave," and "day."

3. "The light of the fire is a sight for my tired eyes." - This sentence demonstrates the repetition of the long "i" sound in "light," "fire," "sight," and "eyes."

4. "Hear the mellow wedding bells." - In this phrase, Edgar Allan Poe uses assonance with the repetition of the "eh" sound in "mellow" and "wedding."

5. "I must confess that in my quest I felt depressed and restless." - This sentence showcases the repetition of the short "e" sound in "quest," "felt," "depressed," and "restless."

Assonance adds a sense of rhythm and musicality to the text, making it more memorable and pleasing to the ear.

Assonance is a literary technique where the repetition of vowel sounds occurs in nearby words. It creates a musical and melodic effect in the text. Here are a few examples of assonance:

1. "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain." - This line from the musical "My Fair Lady" showcases the repetition of the long "a" sound in "rain," "Spain," "mainly," and "plain."

2. "Old age should burn and rave at close of day." - This line from Dylan Thomas' poem "Do not go gentle into that good night" repeats the long "a" sound in "age," "rave," and "day."

3. "The light of the fire is a sight for my tired eyes." - This sentence demonstrates the repetition of the long "i" sound in "light," "fire," "sight," and "eyes."

4. "Hear the mellow wedding bells." - In this phrase, Edgar Allan Poe uses assonance with the repetition of the "eh" sound in "mellow" and "wedding."

5. "I must confess that in my quest I felt depressed and restless." - This sentence showcases the repetition of the short "e" sound in "quest," "felt," "depressed," and "restless."

Assonance adds a sense of rhythm and musicality to the text, making it more memorable and pleasing to the ear.
Give example of apostrophe

Give example of apostrophe
Certainly! In literature, an apostrophe is a figure of speech where the speaker addresses someone or something that is absent or non-human as if it were present and able to respond. Here are a few examples of apostrophe:

1. "O, Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?" - In Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, Juliet speaks these lines, addressing Romeo, who is not physically present. She is lamenting their forbidden love and expressing her longing for him.

2. "Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are." - This is the opening line of the popular nursery rhyme. The speaker is addressing the star, as if it can answer their curiosity about its nature.

3. "O Captain! My Captain! our fearful trip is done." - In Walt Whitman's poem "O Captain! My Captain!", the speaker addresses the deceased President Abraham Lincoln as if he were still alive, expressing both admiration and grief for his leadership.

4. "O Death, where is thy sting?" - This line comes from the biblical passage 1 Corinthians 15:55. The speaker is addressing death itself, rhetorically asking where its power or "sting" has gone.

5. "O Muse, sing in me, and through me tell the story." - In Homer's epic poem The Odyssey, the poet invokes the Muse, a goddess of inspiration, asking her to help him tell the story.

Apostrophe is a powerful literary device that allows writers to give voice to their emotions, thoughts, or questions, even when addressing inanimate objects or absent beings.

Back