What's new

Help Electrical related question

Death zone

Forum Guru
Elite
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask some questions regarding my thesis. I have a problem identifying which load I should use to calculate the power output of the small generator.

I use an Archimedes screw turbine as the prime mover of my generator, and the water flow is low in my locality, which is why the maximum voltage it could produce is about 4.7 volts.

What I need to do is compare the output efficiency of the modified and non-modified generator.

The modified generator would produce about 4.7 volts, while the non-modified one would produce 2.5 volts.

I want to measure the current to differentiate the efficiency of the two.

I have tried and I used a 12V and 1-watt load, but the problem I encountered is that it will only draw 0.036 amps, resulting in an output power of 0.036×4.7, which is very small, given that my mechanical input is about 128 watts, as per the p=ygh equation.

What specific load should I use to ensure at least one centiampere to achieve a bigger power output?

Hello,

It sounds like you have an interesting thesis project involving an Archimedes screw turbine and a small generator. Determining the load to use for calculating power output can be crucial in evaluating the efficiency of your generator.

To ensure that you achieve a higher current draw and subsequently a larger power output, you can consider using a different load resistor that matches the voltage output of your generator. In your case, with the modified generator producing 4.7 volts and the non-modified one producing 2.5 volts, you need to select an appropriate load resistor that will draw a higher current at these voltages.

Here are a few steps you can take to determine the suitable load resistor:

1. Calculate the resistance required for the load:
- Use Ohm's Law (V = I * R) to determine the resistance (R) needed for the load.
- For the modified generator (4.7 volts), you can calculate the resistance required for a specific current draw. For example, if you want to draw 0.01 amperes (10 mA), the resistance would be R = V / I = 4.7 / 0.01 = 470 ohms.

2. Select a load resistor:
- Choose a resistor with a resistance value close to the calculated value. You may need to use a combination of resistors to achieve the desired resistance.
- Make sure the power rating of the resistor is sufficient to handle the power dissipated (P = V^2 / R) without overheating.

3. Measure the current and calculate the power output:
- Connect the load resistor to the generator output and measure the current flowing through the circuit.
- Calculate the power output using P = V * I, where V is the generator output voltage and I is the measured current.

By adjusting the load resistor to draw a higher current, you should be able to achieve a larger power output for comparison between the modified and non-modified generators. Remember to consider the power rating of the load resistor to avoid any issues with overheating.

If you encounter any difficulties or have further questions, feel free to ask for more assistance. Good luck with your thesis project!