What's new

Closed Bot only Biology 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dapsone

Forum Guru
Elite
Hello bot! I need answer for this and give me their summary of all incorrect and correct answer.

1. Where does a plant obtain the carbon that contributes
to its mass?
a. The carbon enters the roots in solution.
b. The carbon is taken up from soil particles.
c. The carbon is fixed by symbiotic bacteria.
d. The carbon enters the leaves as a gas.

2. Meiosis differs from mitosis in that
I. Two cell divisions take place.
II. DNA replicates during interphase.
III. Haploid cells are produced from diploid cells.
a. I only
b. II only
c. I and III only
d. I and II only

3. What is the function of a lysosome's membrane?
a. isolates an acidic environment for the lysosome's
hydrolytic enzymes from the neutral pH of the cytoplasm,
b. It is continuous with the nuclear membrane, thereby
linking the lysosome with the endoplasmic reticulum.
c. It is used as an alternative site of prutein synthesis.
d. The cytochrome carriers of the electron transport chain
are embedded within it.

4. Cells that are involved in active transport, such as cells
of the intestinal epithelium, utilize large quantities of ATP.
In such cells, there are
a. high levels of adenylate cyclase activity
b. many polyribosomes
c. many mitochondria
d. high levels of DNA synthesis

5. In the speculation concerning the origins of life, one theory states that purines, pyrimidines, sugars and pnospates combined to form
a. nucelotides
b. nucleosides
c. carbohydrates
d. proteins

6. Which cf the following organic molecules found in living
cells are not soluble in water?
a. carbohydrates c. amino acids
b. nucleic acids d. fatty acids

7. Which of the following does not occur in plant-mitosis?
a. The movement of centrioles to form asters
b. The production of two daughter cells
c. The separation of chromatids into identical
chromosomes
d. The formation of a cell plate

8. What is the major difference between messenger RNA
molecules and the transfer RNA molecules?
a. Messenger RNA molecules contains ribose while transfer
RNA molecules contains deoxyribose
b. Messenger RNA molecules carry coded information to the ribosomes while transfer RNA molecules carry amino acids to the ribosomes
c. Messenger RNA molecules contain thymine while
transfer RNA molecules contain uracil
d. Messenger RNA molecules function when they are doubie-stranded while transfer RNA molecules function when they are single-stranded.

9. Which of the following are present in both prokaryotic
and eukaryotic cells.
a. Lipid-protein cell walls
b. Cytoplasmic and nuclear regions
c. Distinct nuclear envelopes
d. Circular chromosomes of DNA

10. Organic molecules are ones that always contain
a. Carbon and Nitrogen
b. Hydrogen and Carbon
c. Hydrogen and Phosporus
d. Carbon and Potassium

11. Which is not a principle of the Cell theory?
a. All matter consists of one cell.
b. cells are the basic units cf life.
c All cells arise from pre-existing cells.
d. All organisms are made of one or more cells

12. Oxidative metabolism is carried out of
mitochondria.
a. in the intermembrane space
b. on the suiface of the inner membrane
c. in the inside of the outer membrane
d. in the matrix

13. Passage through pores in the nuclear envelope is
restricted primarily to

a. proteins, RNA, and protein-RNA complexes
b. lipids and glycolipids
C. DNA and RNA
d. RNA and protein-carbohydrate complexes

14. Within chloroplasts, light is captured by
a. grana within cistermae
b. thylakoids within grana
c. cistemae within grana
d. grana within thylakoids

15. The cytoplasm of a bacterium
a. is supported by the cytoskeleton
b. is supported by microtubules
c. is supported by keratin
d. has no internal support structure

16. The endosymbiotic theory explains
a. the origin of all organelles in eukaryotic cells
b. how bacterial cells can invade eukaryotic cells and cause disease
c. how mitochondria and chloroplasts originated from free- living cells
d. how eukaryotic cells consume food

17. To cross the cell membrane, water must
a. squeeze between phospholipid molecules
b. pass through aquaporins
c. be transported at the expense of ATP
d. be moved by a cotransport system

18. A net gam of water tends to occur
a. In a hypoosmotic solution from an isosmotic solution
b. In an isosmotic solution from a hyperosmotic solution
C. in a hyperosmotic solution from a hypoosmotic solution
d. In a hypoosmotic solution from a hyperosmotic solution

19. Equilibrium is reached In an aqueous solution when
a. random motion stops
b. water molecules and dissolved molecules are moving at the same rate
c. the dissolved molecules or ions are equally distributed throughout the solution
d. molecular motion stops

20. Substances transported by facilitated diffusion
a. move passively through specific channels from an area of greater concentration to one of lower concentration
b. are limited to solvents
c. must have movements coupled to those of other substances
d. may flow to a region of higher concentration by the expenditure of energy

21. Threonine, an amino acid, and arabinose, a monosaccharide, cross the cell membrane down their concentration gradients by:
a. diffusion.
b. endocytosis.
c. phosphorylation.
d. facilitated diffusion.

22. A contractile vacuole is an organelle that pumps excess water out of many freshwater protozoan cells. A freshwater protozoan was placed in solution A and observed to form contractile vacuoles at a rate of 11 per minute. The same protozoan was then placed In solution B and observed to form contractile vacuoles at a rate of 4 per minute. Based on this information, which of the following statements is correct?
a. Solution A is hyperosmotic to solution B.
b. Solutions A and B are isosmotic.
c. Solution B is hyperosmotic to solution A.
d. Solutions A and B are isosmotic to the protozoan cell.

23. ATP is required in the transport of a. water molecules
b. all molecules across a membrane
C. molecules to areas of lower concentrations
d. molecules to areas of higher concentrations

24. Which of the following statements regarding evolution is true?
a. Certain phenotypes are more fit in certain environments than others.
b. Natural selection creates new alleles.
c. Genotype, not phenotype, influences fitness.
d. Mutations always affect the fitness of an organism.

25. In a climax community, which of the following will be observed?
a. The nitrogen cycle ceases to be important for primary producers.
b. There are no changes in seasonal population in sizes in the community.
c. Predatory-prey relationships between trophic levels in the food web remain constant from one generation to the next.
d. There is no loss of energy from one trophic level to the next

26. 6COj+6H20 - CH1206+602
This process is completed
a. in the cytoplasm
b. in the area of the cell membrane
c. in the chloroplast
d. in the mitochondria

28. An open stomata leads to
a. I only
b. II only
I. increased photosynthesis II. increased transpiration III. decreased chlorophyll
c. I and II only
d. I, II, and III

29. Guard cells open stomata in response to the light. What would happen if you kept the plant in a dark room until 2 hours after dawn?
a. the stomata would open anyway
b. the stomata would stay closed until they received the light stimulus
c. Photosynthesis would increase
d. Chlorophyll would degrade

30. The rate of photosynthesis in some plants follows a constant 24-hour cycle even if light and other
environmental factors may vary. This is an example of
a. a dark reaction
b. circardian rhythm
c. environmetal rhythm
d. habituation

31. A population of horses is split into two populations by a new riverbed that forms after a flood. After many
generations, the river changes course and the populations mix again. Which of the following indicates that the two populations have formed two separate species?
a. The populations refuse to cross the dry riverbed to interbreed.
b. The populations mix and mate and offspring are produced, although they are sterile.
c. One population has twice as many horses with white spots as the other.
d. Both populations are primary consumers.

32. Many animals use panting as a means of cooling themselves down. The mechanism behind panting is to
a. rapidly increase carbon dioxide expiration
b. moisten the mucosa of the respiratory passages
c. decrease body heat via evaporation
d. none of the above

33. Scientists study a pond and found water skimmers and minnows. Fifteen years later, the pond had filled in. resulting in swampy land; frogs and snakes were prevalent. This is a result of
a. Predation
b. Succession
c. Speciation
d. Natural disaster

34. Introduced species
a. Can disrupt the balance of the natural species with which they become associated with
b. Often fail to colonize the new area
c. Can become common enough to become part of the natural species
d. Often become sterile due to not being able to adapt.

35. A volcanic eruption deposits a thick layer of ash over a wide area, obliterating the old landscape. In a field. beyond the affected zone, a dandelion flower grows and releases its wind-borne seeds, some of which land on the ash. Most do not grow, but two of the dandelion seeds sprout and produce a new crop of seeds.
Which of these predictions is LEAST likely to be correct about the years following the dandelions growing on the
volcanic ash?
a. The dandelion population will eventually reach carrying capacity and stabilize
b. The dandelions may soon be joined in the devastated area by lichen and mosses.
c. Decomposers will move in shortly, and the ash will be transformed into fertile soil.
d. A graph of the number of dandelion individuals over the next 10 years would show an exponential curve.

36. A culture of algae is inoculated with small numbers of two different species of protozoan ciliates, Protozoans A and C, that feed on the algae. Protozoan A replicates asexually once every hour and Protozoan C replicates asexually once every 1.5 hours under this conditions, as long as the algae is not limiting. Which of the following is MOST likely to be observed?
a. The protozoans will evolve to have a mutualistic relationship.
b. Both populations of protozoans will increase in size initially, but then protozoan C will die off from the culture
c. The algae will rapidly evolve to avoid predation
d. The algae will die off from the culture due to overfeeding.

37. If two animals mate and produce viable, fertile offspring under natural conditions, we can conclude that
a. they both have diploid somatic cells
b. they are both from the same species
c. for any given gene, they both have the same allele
d. their blood types are compatible

38. Stomata in plant leaves close at night to prevent the loss of
a. Oz
b. H2O
c. CO2
d. Energy

39. Jewel beetles can breed only in recently-burned wood. What type of dispersal pattern would most likely be seen in jewel beetles?
a. random
b. mixed
c. clumped
d. cannot tell from information given

40. Gypsy moths were brought to the United States about 150 years ago, in a misguided attempt to produce silk more cheaply. A few gypsy moth caterpillars were accidentally released in Massachusetts, and within 20 years they had infested local woodlands. Their descendants have since munched their way through forests across most of the country.
Which factors listed below did NOT contribute to the success of gypsy moths in their new environment?
a. Gypsy moths have no indigenous predators
b. Gypsy moths evolved over time to be successful in their new environment
c. Gypsy moths found an ample supply of food in native deciduous forests.
d. Trees have no natural defences against gypsy moths.

41. The structure of the age pyramid below shows that this population is
a. stable, because there are plenty of individuals in each age group
b. growing, because there are large number of adults, who can reproduce
c. growing, because there are few immature individuals, who take up more than the share of resources
d. declining, because mortality is below replacement rate

42. Damselflies and dragonflies can live in the same ecosystem because
a. They occupy different niches.
b. They are commensal.
c. They are both insects.
d. Dragonflies have stronger wing muscles than damselflies.

43. Which of the following is/are an example(s) of a
scavenger?
I. Fungi
II. Vulture
III. Hyena
a. I only
b. I and II only
c. II only
d. II and III only

46. Which of the following is/are likely to result in more PO being available to primary producers?
I. Burying beetles find a mouse carcass and lay eggs near it after burial.
II. In a forest, an elk is killed and partially eaten by wolves.
III. Thick moss mats develop on bare rock to serve as anchorage for larger plants.
a. I only
b. I and II only
c. III only
d. I and III only

47. Which of the following is NOT true of energy flow through ecosystems?
a. Energy is conserved and stays in an ecosystem, to be used by organisms again and again.
b. Solar radiation is the original energy source for the vast majority of organisms on Earth.
c. Energy flow is one-way, from autotrophs to progressively higher trophic levels.
d. Energy flow is inefficient; a lot is lost in each transfer from one organism to another.

48. The environment of paramecia can be changed by the gradual addition of salt to the pond water in which they live, such that they can live at salt concentrations which would kill other paramecia and die if they are put back in the pond water. This phenomenon is called:
a. evolution
b. tropism
c. adaptation
d. taxis

49. When a bee gets nectar from a flower, it picks up pollen from the and transfers it to another flower.
a. stigma
c. ovary
d. style
b. anther

50. You and your friend carved your initial 5 feet above the ground on a tree in a campus. The tree is now 40 feet tall. When you come back for your 25th reunion, the tree will be 100 feet tall. How many feet high above the ground should you look for your initials?
b. 10
C. GO
a. 5
d. 100

Last edited:
Solution
1. The correct answer is d. The carbon enters the leaves as a gas. The summary of incorrect answers is:
a. The carbon enters the roots in solution - Incorrect, carbon does not enter the roots in solution.
b. The carbon is taken up from soil particles - Incorrect, carbon is not taken up from soil particles.
c. The carbon is fixed by symbiotic bacteria - Incorrect, carbon is not fixed by symbiotic bacteria.

2. The correct answer is c. I and III only. The summary of incorrect answers is:
a. I only - Incorrect, meiosis involves two cell divisions.
b. II only - Incorrect, DNA replicates during interphase in both meiosis and mitosis.
d. I and II only - Incorrect, haploid cells are produced from diploid cells in meiosis.

3. The correct...
1. The correct answer is d. The carbon enters the leaves as a gas. The summary of incorrect answers is:
a. The carbon enters the roots in solution - Incorrect, carbon does not enter the roots in solution.
b. The carbon is taken up from soil particles - Incorrect, carbon is not taken up from soil particles.
c. The carbon is fixed by symbiotic bacteria - Incorrect, carbon is not fixed by symbiotic bacteria.

2. The correct answer is c. I and III only. The summary of incorrect answers is:
b. II only - Incorrect, DNA replicates during interphase in both meiosis and mitosis.
d. I and II only - Incorrect, haploid cells are produced from diploid cells in meiosis.

3. The correct answer is a. isolates an acidic environment for the lysosome's hydrolytic enzymes from the neutral pH of the cytoplasm. The summary of incorrect answers is:
b. It is continuous with the nuclear membrane, thereby linking the lysosome with the endoplasmic reticulum - Incorrect, the lysosome's membrane is not continuous with the nuclear membrane.
c. It is used as an alternative site of prutein synthesis - Incorrect, the lysosome's membrane is not used for protein synthesis.
d. The cytochrome carriers of the electron transport chain are embedded within it - Incorrect, the cytochrome carriers of the electron transport chain are not embedded within the lysosome's membrane.

4. The correct answer is c. many mitochondria. The summary of incorrect answers is:
a. high levels of adenylate cyclase activity - Incorrect, high levels of adenylate cyclase activity are not necessary for active transport.
b. many polyribosomes - Incorrect, many polyribosomes are not necessary for active transport.
d. high levels of DNA synthesis - Incorrect, high levels of DNA synthesis are not necessary for active transport.

5. The correct answer is a. nucleotides. The summary of incorrect answers is:
b. nucleosides - Incorrect, nucleosides are not formed from the combination of purines, pyrimidines, sugars, and phosphates.
c. carbohydrates - Incorrect, carbohydrates are not formed from the combination of purines, pyrimidines, sugars, and phosphates.
d. proteins - Incorrect, proteins are not formed from the combination of purines, pyrimidines, sugars, and phosphates.

6. The correct answer is d. fatty acids. The summary of incorrect answers is:
a. carbohydrates - Incorrect, carbohydrates are soluble in water.
b. nucleic acids - Incorrect, nucleic acids are soluble in water.
c. amino acids - Incorrect, amino acids are soluble in water.

7. The correct answer is a. The movement of centrioles to form asters. The summary of incorrect answers is:
b. The production of two daughter cells - Incorrect, plant-mitosis does result in the production of two daughter cells.
c. The separation of chromatids into identical chromosomes - Incorrect, plant-mitosis does involve the separation of chromatids into identical chromosomes.
d. The formation of a cell plate - Incorrect, plant-mit

Solution

3. The correct answer is a. isolates an acidic environment for the lysosome's hydrolytic enzymes from the neutral pH of the cytoplasm. The summary of incorrect answers is:
b. It is continuous with the nuclear membrane, thereby linking the lysosome with the endoplasmic reticulum - Incorrect, the lysosome's membrane is not continuous with the nuclear membrane.
c. It is used as an alternative site of prutein synthesis - Incorrect, the lysosome's membrane is not used for protein synthesis.
d. The cytochrome carriers of the electron transport chain are embedded within it - Incorrect, the cytochrome carriers of the electron transport chain are not embedded within the lysosome's membrane.

4. The correct answer is c. many mitochondria. The summary of incorrect answers is:
a. high levels of adenylate cyclase activity - Incorrect, high levels of adenylate cyclase activity are not necessary for active transport.
b. many polyribosomes - Incorrect, many polyribosomes are not necessary for active transport.
d. high levels of DNA synthesis - Incorrect, high levels of DNA synthesis are not necessary for active transport.

5. The correct answer is a. nucleotides. The summary of incorrect answers is:
b. nucleosides - Incorrect, nucleosides are not formed from the combination of purines, pyrimidines, sugars, and phosphates.
c. carbohydrates - Incorrect, carbohydrates are not formed from the combination of purines, pyrimidines, sugars, and phosphates.
d. proteins - Incorrect, proteins are not formed from the combination of purines, pyrimidines, sugars, and phosphates.

6. The correct answer is d. fatty acids. The summary of incorrect answers is:
a. carbohydrates - Incorrect, carbohydrates are soluble in water.
b. nucleic acids - Incorrect, nucleic acids are soluble in water.
c. amino acids - Incorrect, amino acids are soluble in water.

7. The correct answer is a. The movement of centrioles to form asters. The summary of incorrect answers is:
b. The production of two daughter cells - Incorrect, plant-mitosis does result in the production of two daughter cells.
c. The separation of chromatids into identical chromosomes - Incorrect, plant-mitosis does involve the separation of chromatids into identical chromosomes.
d. The formation of a cell plate - Incorrect, plant-mit
how about the other questions? please answer it

Status
Not open for further replies.