What's new
Jose Rizal wrote two novels: Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not) and El Filibusterismo (The Reign of Greed). Here are the important characters in each novel, along with a brief description:

Noli Me Tangere:

1. Crisostomo Ibarra - The protagonist of the novel, a young idealistic Filipino who returns to the Philippines after studying abroad. He is the son of a wealthy landowner, but he is also critical of the Spanish colonial system and seeks to improve the lives of the Filipino people.

2. Padre Damaso - The corrupt and villainous friar who is the former parish priest of San Diego. He is one of the main antagonists of the novel, and his actions throughout the story cause great harm to several of the characters.

3. Maria Clara - The love interest of Crisostomo Ibarra and the daughter of Capitan Tiago. She is described as being beautiful and gentle, but her life is ultimately tragic due to the actions of others.

4. Elias - A mysterious and enigmatic character who helps Crisostomo Ibarra throughout the novel. He is a boatman who is deeply committed to the cause of Philippine independence.

5. Sisa - The mother of Basilio and Crispin, who are both abused by the Spanish authorities. She is a tragic figure who suffers greatly throughout the novel.

El Filibusterismo:

1. Simoun - The main character of the novel, who is revealed to be Ibarra from Noli Me Tangere. He has become disillusioned with peaceful reform and has adopted the identity of Simoun, a wealthy and influential jeweler who seeks to foment a revolution against the Spanish authorities.

2. Basilio - The son of Sisa, who is now a medical student. He becomes involved in Simoun's plot and helps to carry out several key actions.

3. Padre Florentino - A wise and compassionate priest who serves as a mentor to both Simoun and Basilio. He is deeply committed to the cause of Philippine independence, but he believes that it can be achieved through peaceful means.

4. Doña Victorina - A wealthy and pretentious mestiza who is obsessed with becoming more European. She is a minor character, but she is notable for her comedic relief and for representing the attitudes of the colonial elite.

5. Juli - A young woman who is in love with Basilio. She is a minor character, but she represents the hope and optimism of the next generation of Filipinos.