What's new

Closed Duterte vs fishermen: Is the Philippines lawyering for China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
President Rodrigo Duterte and his alter egos doubt their own countrymen whose boat was sunk by a Chinese ship in the West Philippine Sea on June 9, 2019

After 22 Filipino fishermen aboard fishing boat Gem-Ver You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. by a Chinese vessel in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), they face another collision at home: with their own government.
While the fishermen insisted that they were rammed by a Chinese vessel, President Rodrigo Duterte on June 17 You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. as a "maritime incident."
At the same time, Duterte's men either refused to adopt the fishermen's statements or contradicted them outright.
The President himself echoed China's foreign ministry, which said on June 13 that the sinking of Gem-Ver You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. He refused to condemn China – You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. against the United States, the European Union, Canada, and Kuwait over perceived affronts to Filipinos.
Duterte also You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. of a joint Manila-Beijing investigation into the issue – which, according to critics, places the Philippines and China in one team against the fishermen.
"Hindi namin alam kung kinakampihan pa kami (We don't know if they're still siding with us)," You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now., one of the owners of Gem-Ver, on June 18.

Senator Panfilo Lacson said Duterte's spokesman, Salvador Panelo, You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
"He is acting like the defense ministry of China, or is lawyering for the Chinese crew, because he is finding loopholes in our fishermen's words," said Lacson in a mix of English and Filipino. "His mindset is like a defense counsel entering his appearance for China, as if he was in a courtroom."

Is the Philippine government indeed lawyering for China?

The incident is only part of the stream of a grander issue: the Philippines' rights over Recto Bank.
Duterte himself downplays the Philippines' exclusive rights to fish in the area.

This is despite a 2016 international ruling that recognizes Recto Bank as part of the Philippines' exclusive economic zone, a 200-nautical mile area where the Philippines has the exclusive rights to fish and enjoy other resources, such as oil and natural gas.

Simply put: The waters where the Philippine boat was sunk by a Chinese ship belong to the Philippines alone.
Duterte on June 21 said the Recto Bank incident was not an attack on Philippine sovereignty, but You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. over the area.

On June 24, Duterte stressed that Recto Bank "has two conflicting claims of ownership," even if a Hague tribunal already ruled, once and for all, that the West Philippine Sea belongs to the Philippines.
In effect, Duterte, like China, was not recognizing the Hague ruling of 2016.

In the same June 24 interview, a journalist asked the President: "Will you prevent China from fishing within our EEZ? Iyong pwede po bang… kasi 'yun 'yung request ng mga fishermen?"
Duterte answered: "I don't think that China would do that. Why? Because we're friends. And they are of the same view that that should not result in any bloody confrontation."

Panelo, interpreting Duterte, said the Philippines "will allow" China to fish in the West Philippine Sea "kasi we're friends naman, 'di magbigayan muna tayo

Experts say the Recto Bank incident could only be a test of the Duterte government's reaction to China’s similar moves in the future. If the government reacts lightly, this could further embolden China to ram more Filipino boats to drive them away from the West Philippine Sea.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

ts ... gyerahin nyo na agad yung china ....
Nako... only brainless people like duterte think that we will go to war if we oppose them! All our neighborhood countries sink the chinese boats and china does not declare war to them...

Duterte is a traydor, pure and simple... everything he does is against the constitution. He has the duty to defend our sovereign rights but he prefers to side with china :mad:

This is an impeachable offense but he does not care as he got all the congress and senate licking his a$$ thanks to a "magic" election...

Nako... only brainless people like duterte think that we will go to war if we oppose them! All our neighborhood countries sink the chinese boats and china does not declare war to them...

Duterte is a traydor, pure and simple... everything he does is against the constitution. He has the duty to defend our sovereign rights but he prefers to side with china :mad:

This is an impeachable offense but he does not care as he got all the congress and senate licking his a$$ thanks to a "magic" election...
yun na naman talaga gusto nyo eh.. mawala si duterte.. para bumaha ng droga sa pinas..
bakit si robredo?? di ba magic din ginawa nya??? tama nga sinabi ni locsin... boba sya pero binawi nya..

ts.. mirienda na lang tayo... hahaha

yun na naman talaga gusto nyo eh.. mawala si duterte.. para bumaha ng droga sa pinas..
bakit si robredo?? di ba magic din ginawa nya??? tama nga sinabi ni locsin... boba sya pero binawi nya..

ts.. mirienda na lang tayo... hahaha
nonsense talk...

Ramdam ng mga pinoy yung mga nagagawang mabuti ni Duterte sa bansa katulad na lang kapag namamatay yung mga adik na kapitbahay ramdam kaagad sa komunidad yun.

Kaya mataas pa rin tiwala ng mga pinoy sa kanya kaya yung mga dilawan sa social media na lang maingay puro dummy account naman kapag tinignan mo yung trending topic kahit yung mga nagrarally sa TV kaunti na rin kasi ayaw na ng mga pinoy sa gulo

From Atty Jay Batongbacal:

Arnold Clavio asked me whether PRRD's statement allowing Chinese fishing in Recto Bank is a betrayal of public trust. My quick response:
-----
"There is no specific definition of 'betrayal of public trust'. But personally, I think that breaking the Oath of Office is a betrayal of public trust. The Oath represents everything he solemnly swore he would do for the people as President, the people entrusted him him these duties. Failure to abide by his solemn promise is a breach of their trust. The Oath of Office is as follows:
"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully and conscientiously fulfill my duties as President [or Vice-President or Acting President] of the Philippines, preserve and defend its Constitution, execute its laws, do justice to every man, and consecrate myself to the service of the Nation. So help me God."
-----
The basis for my reasoning above is very simple.

To "preserve and defend its Constitution, execute its laws". The Constitution in Art. XII, s. 2, para. 2 very clearly requires the State to protect the nation's marine wealth in its territorial sea, archipelagic waters, and EXCLUSIVE ECONOMIC ZONE and reserve its benefits and enjoyment EXCLUSIVELY to FIlipino citizens. NO FRIENDS, NO TOLERATION, NO EXCEPTION.
Rep. Act 8550 as amended by Rep. Act 10654, which implements this provision, expressly makes it UNLAWFUL for ANY foreign person, corporation or entity to fish or operate any fishing vessel in Philippine waters. AGAIN, NO FRIENDS, NO TOLERATION, NO EXCEPTION.
It doesn't get any clearer than that. If a person makes you a promise, and then does not fulfill it, s/he breaks your trust in her/him, and you may never trust her/him again in the future. The President swore an Oath of Office, and it is the most fundamental basis of his authority and legitimacy as Chief Executive. He would not be President if he did not take that Oath. Now he is breaking that Oath, so he is clearly and expressly breaking the public's trust.
Is it enough for impeachment? No, for the simple reason that impeachment is a political process, and too many people in Congress are heavily invested in the President. I have no illusions that any complaint citing this will prosper. But this is not a question addressed to Congress.

It is a question addressed to the FIlipino people, supposedly sovereign and the source of all authority: what kind of people are we that we continue to accept the authority of one who doesn't keep his most solemn promises to us as a nation, and who so openly flouts the basic tenets of our Fundamental Law?

its like panelo said..there should be a fact or evidence that it is really done intentionally to ram our fisherman..only of them is awake during the incident..the cook also said that all of their lights are off except from the one from the back of the boat..its a basic response or judgement if you were sleeping then suddenly someone or something move you or the one your on..something bumped or ram you..if you are in the sea anything is dark..it may be an accident at all..my only concern here the chinese didnt help them at all when their boat sunk

its like panelo said..there should be a fact or evidence that it is really done intentionally to ram our fisherman..only of them is awake during the incident..the cook also said that all of their lights are off except from the one from the back of the boat..its a basic response or judgement if you were sleeping then suddenly someone or something move you or the one your on..something bumped or ram you..if you are in the sea anything is dark..it may be an accident at all..my only concern here the chinese didnt help them at all when their boat sunk
The problem (if you read the article) is not about the "incident" regarding the fishermen, it's about duterte not only siding with china but lawyering for them against Filipinos: this is an act of treason!

Attachments

Last edited:
ok let us impeach the presient then what..??..get robredo to be the president then lets go to war with china..??..
again na naman: go to war with china :D I'm amazed how people believe this brainless statement from the psycho president, that we will go to war if we oppose them

again na naman: go to war with china :D I'm amazed how people believe this brainless statement from the psycho president, that we will go to war if we oppose them
war doesnt mean bombarding each others lands..there are so many types of war..but you people this is what you want right..even if you hide it behind your statements..you want to break the bond between the countries..you want to pressure the dilemma on the president which is I think he is doing the right statement atm. again..there is no solid fact that the ramming is intentional

The problem (if you read the article) is not about the "incident" regarding the fishermen, it's about duterte not only siding with china but lawyering for them against Filipinos: this is an act of treason!

View attachment 636904
if he is siding with china he would arrest all the fisherman and put them in prison..he is not lawyering but weighing things for the sake of both nations

war doesnt mean bombarding each others lands..there are so many types of war..but you people this is what you want right..even if you hide it behind your statements..you want to break the bond between the countries..you want to pressure the dilemma on the president which is I think he is doing the right statement atm. again..there is no solid fact that the ramming is intentional
I have no idea where you got this idea that people Ilike me (!?!) want war !!! I am personally (and always been) a pacifist at heart... You don't see the real problem which is that duterte is giving up our sovereign rights to the benefit of china... in less than 20 years from now, if nobody stop him or his dynasty, the Filipinos will be slaves of china...

we
I have no idea where you got this idea that people Ilike me (!?!) want war !!! I am personally (and always been) a pacifist at heart... You don't see the real problem which is that duterte is giving up our sovereign rights to the benefit of china... in less than 20 years from now, if nobody stop him or his dynasty, the Filipinos will be slaves of china...
we call that sea..west philippine sea..while china calls it sout china sea..it is not really our sovereignity atm..2016 the itc granted it to us and told us that we should have that because it is our own..but the china dont want to recognize the decision of the ITC..ofcourse they will not follow the rules..but did thr western stronger countries do anything except from just that they are against the china on what their doing.?..nothing..they like you people just wants the Philippines to have conflict against China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back