What's new

Closed Building file sharing site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChickenSoup

Honorary Poster
Reaction
Hello guys just a question lang po sana kung anong requirements pag bubuo ng file sharing site? anong plan po ang kukunin ko?

It depends on the exact requirements of a file sharing site.

Do you need to manage your own storage or you want to offload that to a cloud provider like AWS? If it's the former, you can start with Minio. The good thing about Minio is you have the same interface as with AWS S3 and you have more control but you have to manage it yourself. You can deploy it to any cloud provider.

If it's the latter, then AWS S3 is a good candidate to start with. The advantage is less devops management. The disadvantage, well, you don't get the same control as with Minio.

But of course you still have to write the "file sharing" program. Now if you just want a simple way of storing stuff, then Google Drive is good enough.

Not sure what plan you mean. Get the plan that you fits within your requirements and budget. I think that's sensible (although some inexperienced forum member might accuse me again of bragging by just saying that lol).

It depends on the exact requirements of a file sharing site.

Do you need to manage your own storage or you want to offload that to a cloud provider like AWS? If it's the former, you can start with Minio. The good thing about Minio is you have the same interface as with AWS S3 and you have more control but you have to manage it yourself. You can deploy it to any cloud provider.

If it's the latter, then AWS S3 is a good candidate to start with. The advantage is less devops management. The disadvantage, well, you don't get the same control as with Minio.

But of course you still have to write the "file sharing" program. Now if you just want a simple way of storing stuff, then Google Drive is good enough.

Not sure what plan you mean. Get the plan that you fits within your requirements and budget. I think that's sensible (although some inexperienced forum member might accuse me again of bragging by just saying that lol).
I just want to make like dropmb :) file sharing with limit. is VPS is okay? it can handle many of downloaders?

I just want to make like dropmb :) file sharing with limit. is VPS is okay? it can handle many of downloaders?
VPS? You mean Virtual Private Server? If yes, then it doesn't solve your problem. You still have to build your file sharing site.

It's like saying I need to build a car that can fly to Cebu. Does buying fuel allows me to fly to cebu? Well fuel helps. VPS helps but you are missing the whole picture.

If you have no idea how to begin nor grasp the fundamental knowledge then you are into a world of pain, unfortunately.
VPS? You mean Virtual Private Server? If yes, then it doesn't solve your problem. You still have to build your file sharing site.

It's like saying I need to build a car that can fly to Cebu. Does buying fuel allows me to fly to cebu? Well fuel helps. VPS helps but you are missing the whole picture.
Ihave the idea, i just want to learn how. i mean i know how to do it all :) from its script i am web dev but i have no idea since i am site owner only i want to make sure everything will be fine soon when my file sharing site will become popular. i want to use VPS but VPS disk space is limited. do you know what is the best hosting for it? like what is that hosting called?

Ihave the idea, i just want to learn how. i mean i know how to do it all :) from its script i am web dev but i have no idea since i am site owner only i want to make sure everything will be fine soon when my file sharing site will become popular. i want to use VPS but VPS disk space is limited. do you know what is the best hosting for it? like what is that hosting called?

Ah that makes sense now.

In regards to disk storage, can't you get a bigger VPS disk storage? You can take at look at DigitalOcean, OVH, AWS offerings as start. I'll say AWS is the best based on the number of well-known companies who are relying on AWS. Is it the most cost-effective? That I cannot answer for you. You will have to figure that by yourself and do your research (start by Googling).

"i want to make sure everything will be fine soon when my file sharing site will become popular." Define "fine"?

In terms of storage you will be fine as long as you have enough storage. But how do you make sure you have enough storage before you hit your limit (if you can't ensure that, then it won't be fine). So I guess your new question is how do I ensure that my storage auto-scales at a certain threshold. Correct me if I am wrong here or if you have a knowledge how to resolve this concern.

In terms of handling concurrent requests, adding rate limiting, that would depend on how you implement your solution. It's not a simple task but it's doable.

In terms of security, well, if you mishandle this, you are dead (technically you are not but you get what I mean).

In terms of user experience, this depends on a lot of things but at a base level, you should have done your UX research.

Also don't be too optimistic that your file sharing site will be popular. Be pragmatic. Setup analytics to understand whether your site is really going to the right direction. Failure is common among startups. Take failures as learning experience.

Ah that makes sense now.

In regards to disk storage, can't you get a bigger VPS disk storage? You can take at look at DigitalOcean, OVH, AWS offerings as start. I'll say AWS is the best based on the number of well-known companies who are relying on AWS. Is it the most cost-effective? That I cannot answer for you. You will have to figure that by yourself and do your research (start by Googling).

"i want to make sure everything will be fine soon when my file sharing site will become popular." Define "fine"?

In terms of storage you will be fine as long as you have enough storage. But how do you make sure you have enough storage before you hit your limit (if you can't ensure that, then it won't be fine). So I guess your new question is how do I ensure that my storage auto-scales at a certain threshold. Correct me if I am wrong here or if you have a knowledge how to resolve this concern.

In terms of handling concurrent requests, adding rate limiting, that would depend on how you implement your solution. It's not a simple task but it's doable.

In terms of security, well, if you mishandle this, you are dead (technically you are not but you get what I mean).

In terms of user experience, this depends on a lot of things but at a base level, you should have done your UX research.

Also don't be too optimistic that your file sharing site will be popular. Be pragmatic. Setup analytics to understand whether your site is really going to the right direction. Failure is common among startups. Take failures as learning experience.
Thanks for that brother, yes i am not claiming that my host will be popular but since my site its getting popular i want to add this hosting to it so this is not impossible to happen.

What exactly do you mean by filesharing? Download only or both ways? What protocol(s) are you gonna use to share files (http, scp, ftp, torrent etc)? Are you going to build the frontend (web interface, if any) and backend (host, storage, security) yourself? Expect that any internet-facing server is going to be hammered by both bots and ill-intentioned people. How much do you know about securing a server?

What exactly do you mean by filesharing? Download only or both ways? What protocol(s) are you gonna use to share files (http, scp, ftp, torrent etc)? Are you going to build the frontend (web interface, if any) and backend (host, storage, security) yourself? Expect that any internet-facing server is going to be hammered by both bots and ill-intentioned people. How much do you know about securing a server?
Both upload and download but limited to 300 mb only then i will use http, thats my problem bro about securing the server cause this is prone of attacks

pwde yan
VPS/windows server
search ka sa utube,
install ng xampp server
search seach sa utube, kung paano iopen yung port para dyan 8080 ata

tinatry kuna yan dati kaso failed ko ma open yung port di ko alam kung bakit, gamit ko pfsense router nun.

pwde yan
VPS/windows server
search ka sa utube,
install ng xampp server
search seach sa utube, kung paano iopen yung port para dyan 8080 ata

tinatry kuna yan dati kaso failed ko ma open yung port di ko alam kung bakit, gamit ko pfsense router nun.
kaya ko naman gawin yung programming stage bro kaso ang minimake sure ko is kung dadami na yung files na nasa loob

Kung personal use lang, hindi gaano kumplikado. All you need is ssh client (scp, sftp o rsync). Pero kapag marami na users at malamang sa hindi they would ask you to provide user/n00b friendly interface (web, perhaps). And that's when things can go really wrong.

Regardless, good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.