What's new

Closed Automated ID System

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryptoMaster2020

Eternal Poster
Reaction
Mga master may idea po ba kau kung pano gumawa ng automated id system?

For thesis salamats

yung pag nag in sa skul ung student eh automatic mag tetext sa number ng parents.. Need poto ng hardware pero wala po ako idea about dun sa hrdware

Magastos ang hardware based automatic id system.

Suggest ko is manual id checking like
System ang mag pprovide ng student id then ilalagay sa part ng id nila para hindi mawala. Then sa entrance ng school mag lalagay computer for the system

Sa entrance computer nila ilalagay yung given student number then pag inenter nila iggenerate ng computer yung info kung anong oras sila pumasok at date at gagamit ng maybe sariling simcard ng school or free text online

yung pag nag in sa skul ung student eh automatic mag tetext sa number ng parents.. Need poto ng hardware pero wala po ako idea about dun sa hrdware
This is not a simple project but not impossible. viprasys response is a good start but I think you need more guidance.

I don't know your level of hardware and software capabilities but if I am thinking back in my college times, I will just assume the worst.

For the hardware, this will depend on how you want to detect the student entry

1. Motion detector.

A good hardware combo is a Raspberry PI plus a PIR motion sensor. See You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Another option is to use a microcontroller instead of Raspberry. I would recommend NodeMCU or Arduino but I prefer NodeMCU.

However if you go with this route, you need to have some basic knowledge of electronics, soldering, and basic wiring. You dont need to be an electrical engineer but you need to get your hands dirty still. We call this people who tinker with this devices as "makers"-- people who play with IoT (Internet of Things). That's the hardware part.

Now for the software part if you go with Raspberry or NodeMcu, big chance you will be using Python. Not Java. Not JavaScript. Not .NET. It's Python. It's not a difficult language to learn but it's not something you can master in a week.

You need to program so that you can read the activities in your motion sensor. You need to read so that you can act on it like sending the info to a web server.

However there is one problem with motion sensor. You cannot identify the student. All you know js someone tripped the sensor. This is really useful for alarm systems.

2. RFID system like what viprasys mentioned. Again you can go with a microcontroller or Raspberry Pi. However wiring an RFID is more involved than a PIR sensor. But the idea is the same in terms of soldering, wiring, and programming. Same set of chsllenges.

Best part of an RFID is it allows you to identify the person who activated the sensor. However there are challenges with RFID.

First the student needs to have a matching card that's readable by the RFID. The card needs to be programmed with a unique id of the student. Otherwise what you have is just a more complicated version of PIR sensor. If you have 50 students, you need 50 cards and you have to manually encode each one with a unique id.

Second what happens if the student loses his card? What if someone s†éáls it and impersonates the person using a stolen card?

Third, the person using the card has to be diligent at swiping or touching his card to the rfid reader otherwise it wont register as a read. Cheap rfid readers have small ranges (honestly rfid really has very limited range). What I am saying is people using this type of entry need to be educated. Probably having a second detector (a PIR motion detector would be a good indicator if someone trespasses without signing in properly first. Meaning the PIR motion sensor will only be disabled after a successful RFID login).

3. Buy an RFID kit. This would probably cost you MORE than if you just make your own. However the advantage is it saves you time making one BUT you still have to learn how to program it. The API should be easy to use otherwise no point of buying one

If the documentation sucks, don't buy it.

4. A video camera like Logitech plus a mini computer like Raspberry.

Oh this one is more ambitious. You will be using actual images of the person to identify in real time the student. This is done thru machine learning or deep learning algorithms. The biggest challenge is not capturing the photos from the camera and saving to the computer but you need to know machine learning and you need to know Python because most of the best libraries on machine learning is written in Python and most of the tutorials are written for Python too.

The best part about this is you have a smart and inteligent system. However you'd need proper training data and models to make a smart AI. It sounds more complicated than you probably think. Honestly it's the same complication if you are making an RFID system from scratch. Pick your poison.

5. A fingerprint sensor. Same idea with RFID. But you will need to have a catalog of student fingerprints so you can identify the student.

The catalog is saved with a backing database of student information. If you think about it, a fingerprint sensor can use machine learning algorithms to improve its accuracy

6. Let students enter their ID on a computer interface. All you need is a computer terminal where student can enter their id.

When they enter their id, your webserver will procesd the information and verify on a student database etc.

Ok those are the hardware section (I am sure there are other ways).

Now on the software part aka the backend services (technically this is the phase where a hardware device has captured an external information). What needs to be done to send an sms to the parent:
1. Write a program that verifies the captured data is valid
2. There needs to be a student database where you can compare the captured data
3. After the data is validated, we should have a program that's responsible for composing an sms message, connects to an SMS provider via its API, and sends the SMS.

What you need to consider when writing the backend services:

1. The data capture service. Depending on your hardware's requirement, it might only support certain languages like Python or .NET. The purpose of this service is to process the captured data and send the data for validation to the next service.

2. Write your data validation service as a separate program -- independent of the hardware framework so you decouple the data capture from the data validation service. This will.make things easier to maintain and the best part is you can write this service using any language you prefer like Java or JavaScript. Also since this service is separate from the data capture service, you can reuse this service with a different set of hardware.

How should these two services exchange information. I suggest using standard HTTP calls. Google it. Most librariies and frameworks have good support for making http requests.

3. The SMS service. This service is basically a wrapper to an SMS Provider like Twilio or SendGrid
The purpose of a wrapper is if you decide to switch SMS providera, all you need to modify is this service. You dont touch the data capture or data validation service.

4. Add logging and metrics on your servicea so you can monitor the usage and performance of your services.

Bonus tips:
  • Dockerize your apps
  • Use a loadbalancer to distribute load
  • Use message broker to pass messages across services
  • Use open source technologies instead of.proprietary ones

Ok those are the hardware section (I am sure there are other ways).

Now on the software part aka the backend services (technically this is the phase where a hardware device has captured an external information). What needs to be done to send an sms to the parent:
1. Write a program that verifies the captured data is valid
2. There needs to be a student database where you can compare the captured data
3. After the data is validated, we should have a program that's responsible for composing an sms message, connects to an SMS provider via its API, and sends the SMS.

What you need to consider when writing the backend services:

1. The data capture service. Depending on your hardware's requirement, it might only support certain languages like Python or .NET. The purpose of this service is to process the captured data and send the data for validation to the next service.

2. Write your data validation service as a separate program -- independent of the hardware framework so you decouple the data capture from the data validation service. This will.make things easier to maintain and the best part is you can write this service using any language you prefer like Java or JavaScript. Also since this service is separate from the data capture service, you can reuse this service with a different set of hardware.

How should these two services exchange information. I suggest using standard HTTP calls. Google it. Most librariies and frameworks have good support for making http requests.

3. The SMS service. This service is basically a wrapper to an SMS Provider like Twilio or SendGrid
The purpose of a wrapper is if you decide to switch SMS providera, all you need to modify is this service. You dont touch the data capture or data validation service.

4. Add logging and metrics on your servicea so you can monitor the usage and performance of your services.

Bonus tips:
  • Dockerize your apps
  • Use a loadbalancer to distribute load
  • Use message broker to pass messages across services
  • Use open source technologies instead of.proprietary ones
wow salamat sa response sir. magastos din pala to :( iba na lang gawin kong study. btw salamats ng marami dito :D . i hope maraming makinabang sa feedback mo sir tungkol dito . salamat sobra :D :D GODBLESS :D

Image Capturing device (Camera) Pwede din yung mga BarCode Scanner basta may barcode yung mga ID.
Tapos software para mapocess yung mga data
then internet connection to use online APIs para sa texting na part.

Last edited:
Since this will just your thesis project, you need to be cutting the cost and use more basic hardware that just can do the same job as using rfid or any sophisticated scanning and sensor hardware. Be resourceful, that's the right word. Basically, you can use a QR Code / Barcode Reader for scanning the student's I.D. There's a lot of cheap readers out there(CD-R King meron yata). Even an old smartphone can do that, but it's not reliable and practical for that case.

In the software part, you can utilize whatever language you know how to use except for vb 6.0. I think.
Python or any .Net language can do it. Any SQL Management software compatible to your preferred PL.

In the backend there should be something like these:

1. A database for students with pk pointing to each student's I.D. Number.(ID numbers can consists of numbers and letters. It might be a combination of the actual auto increment number + the students section + the curriculum year).
A contact numbers of their guardians/parent, Address.

2. A class schedule table. A details table for the student's table.

3. Make a table with a message template for sms content to be sent to the contact number provided from the student's table. This will be a good help for reconstructing the message template without the need to recompile the whole system when its needed. A simple text file can also do.

4. Make a table for all student logs. This will be a helpful table that will served as audit trail for tracking back students logs. ex: when is the last time the student went to school. The last in or out of a particular student for an instance.

Features??

1. Just a basic student logging feature.

2. Auto sms sending to the contact provided when entering student's info(include the out of-course). An auto mail can be too make it optional but not a priority.

3. An Auto response feature? maybe? An auto response to a formatted sms query like "Is my child got inside the school? <space> student I.D. number" then a query that will split the id number from the message then query it to the student's table. then an auto sms template will auto send back to the sender if yes or no. if yes with the time in and date. same goes through if the parent will query if their child already signed out.

4. Auto sms for Logging out even if it's a class hour. This will be based from the student's class schedule. This will be a great help for the parents in monitoring their children.

5. Pertinent reports. Ex: the system can generate reports of each student's logs. could it be daily, weekly, comparatively, tardiness, untimely logout, etc, etc.

6. Many more. It's too many to discuss. It will also depends on the needs of the school

I personally don't have related project yet so this is all just my opinion and things that came through my imagination. It may be useful or not to your project.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Since this will just your thesis project, you need to be cutting the cost and use more basic hardware that just can do the same job as using rfid or any sophisticated scanning and sensor hardware. Be resourceful, that's the right word. Basically, you can use a QR Code / Barcode Reader for scanning the student's I.D. There's a lot of cheap readers out there(CD-R King meron yata). Even an old smartphone can do that, but it's not reliable and practical for that case.

In the software part, you can utilize whatever language you know how to use except for vb 6.0. I think.
Python or any .Net language can do it. Any SQL Management software compatible to your preferred PL.

In the backend there should be something like these:

1. A database for students with pk pointing to each student's I.D. Number.(ID numbers can consists of numbers and letters. It might be a combination of the actual auto increment number + the students section + the curriculum year).
A contact numbers of their guardians/parent, Address.

2. A class schedule table. A details table for the student's table.

3. Make a table with a message template for sms content to be sent to the contact number provided from the student's table. This will be a good help for reconstructing the message template without the need to recompile the whole system when its needed. A simple text file can also do.

4. Make a table for all student logs. This will be a helpful table that will served as audit trail for tracking back students logs. ex: when is the last time the student went to school. The last in or out of a particular student for an instance.

Features??

1. Just a basic student logging feature.

2. Auto sms sending to the contact provided when entering student's info(include the out of-course). An auto mail can be too make it optional but not a priority.

3. An Auto response feature? maybe? An auto response to a formatted sms query like "Is my child got inside the school? <space> student I.D. number" then a query that will split the id number from the message then query it to the student's table. then an auto sms template will auto send back to the sender if yes or no. if yes with the time in and date. same goes through if the parent will query if their child already signed out.

4. Auto sms for Logging out even if it's a class hour. This will be based from the student's class schedule. This will be a great help for the parents in monitoring their children.

5. Pertinent reports. Ex: the system can generate reports of each student's logs. could it be daily, weekly, comparatively, tardiness, untimely logout, etc, etc.

6. Many more. It's too many to discuss. It will also depends on the needs of the school

I personally don't have related project yet so this is all just my opinion and things that came through my imagination. It may be useful or not to your project.

Good Luck!
salamats :D

Just to be clear we should not be spoon feeding the actual project --meaning we should guide students and not do their projects.

Now if you are a client and not a student, then $$$ speaks :p

If I was a student and had the money, I might pay someone as a mentor like a martial arts mentor but he won't be doing the fighting for me of course.

Reactions: rxe
Status
Not open for further replies.