What's new

Closed Fun fact: comma saves lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew1010

Honorary Poster
Reaction
FUN FACT: COMMA SAVES LIVES!

Mom was outside and I was in our kitchen, I am so lazy to go there and call them to eat so I texted mom.

“Tell everyone let’s eat mom”

My cousin who happened to read the message for mom laughed out loud and busted in on the dining area saying “ Now you are turning us into cannibals”.

You see, commas saves life, indeed proper punctuations saves lives.

COMMA

A comma marks a slight break between different parts of a sentence. Used properly, commas make the meaning of sentences clear by grouping and separating words, phrases, and clauses.

“ Let’s eat, mom.” - you and your mom will eat

“Let’s eat mom.” - you are a cannibal *chuckles

You see with out comma ( or misuse of it ) will alter the meaning of the message you wanted to convey.

Many people are uncertain about the use of commas, though, and often sprinkle them throughout their writing without knowing the basic rules.

Here are the main cases when you need to use a comma:

-in lists
You need to put a comma between the different items in a list, as in the following sentences:

•Saturday morning started with a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and French toast.

-in direct speech
When a writer quotes a speaker’s words exactly as they were spoken, this is known as direct speech. If the piece of direct speech comes after the information about who is speaking, you need to use a comma to introduce the direct speech. The comma comes before the first quotation mark. Note that the final quotation mark follows the full stop at the end of the direct speech:

•Steve replied, ‘No problem.’

-to separate clauses
Commas are used to separate clauses in a complex sentence (i.e. a sentence which is made up of a main clause and one or more subordinate clauses).

The following examples show the use of commas in two complex sentences:

•Having had lunch, we went back to work.
[subordinate clause], [main clause]

•I first saw her in Paris, where I lived in the early nineties.
[main clause], [subordinate clause]

-to mark off certain parts of a sentence
Commas are used to separate a part of a sentence that is an optional ‘aside’ and not part of the main statement.

•Gunpowder is not, of course, a chemical compound.

-with 'however'
You should use a comma after 'however' when however means 'by contrast' or 'on the other hand':

•However, a good deal of discretion is left in the hands of area managers.

Use proper comma, save a life.

(credits to oxford )-writer
(credits to shady)-who share this

Example from 9gag to FB_IMG_15199847086368845.jpg

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.