What's new

Closed How to easy setup shadowsocks on a vps digital ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin01523

Eternal Poster
Reaction
How to Setup Shadowsocks libev(most latest updated and light) on a VPS Digital Ocean

Yeah i know there are some other shadowsocks install tutorial around here and they didn't even cover optimization etc and fast open. But did you know that there’s also another software called Shadowsocks-libev?

Shadowsocks-libev, on the other hand, is written in C programming language and thus it consumes little RAM and is a very good fit for low-end device such as routers. The latest stable version is v3.0.8 which was released on July 27, 2017.

yes we can also install shadowsocks libev as client on routers but well cover that another time

but 1st You need a VPS so if you have some extra cash to spare follow instrcutions below

Save $25 for your Cloud Computing Solution with Digital Ocean.

Use this link to You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. and save your first $10.

Enter the Promocode LOWENDBOX when you choose your payment method and get another $15 discount.

Need To pay atleast 5$ via Paypal or atleast provide legit creditcard details to unlock deploying a vps

Apply LOWENDBOX first before doing so.

if you used paypal to pay and the extra 15$ didnt apply just contact support that you didnt get a additional 15$ discount by using the lowendbox code

Starting with a $25 discount is not bad for a service which only coast $5 per month :)

Now to Deploy our VPS

1. Press Create then click droplets
5701810creasdss.jpg

2.Click Distribution and Select Ubuntu 16.04 64
create.jpg
3.Choose size Click Standard and Select 5$ one
3447333sizeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

4.Choose a datacenter region of your choice
7154273datacenter.jpg

5.check monitoring
8553656monitoring.jpg

6.Finalize and create

Check email for SSH root password log in via putty
then you will be prompt to change password

How to use:
Use the root user to log in and run the following command:
Spoiler contents are visible only to Established Members.

After the installation is complete, the script prompts as follows:

Uninstall method:
use the root user login, run the following command:

commands:

Want to modify Shadowsocks details like port and password?
check this out

so you dont trust the 1 click install script eh? feeling geeky and want to do it manually?
so heres an alternative P.S this is the advanced way
bale mano mano and has new AEAD ciphers
You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. only supported by shadowsocks csharp and shadowsocks android as far as i know not supprted by sscap and also sscap ended support/development so no more updates

1. SSH into You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.and install git version control tool.

Code:
sudo apt install git

2. Clone the source repository from Github.
Code:
git clone https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks-libev.git

cd shadowsocks-libev

3. Install build dependencies

Code:
sudo apt install build-essential autoconf libtool libssl-dev asciidoc

4. Configure build environment and compile it.

Code:
./configure && make

5. Install shadowsocks-libev

Code:
sudo make install

Before we can start the shadowsock-libev service, we need to configure the socket, password, encryption method and thing like that. So execute the following command to create a configuration file.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/sslibevconfig.json

Code:
Paste the code below
pres ctrl+ letter o to save
press ctrl + x to close

{
"server":"your_server_ip",
"server_port":443,
"local_address": "127.0.0.1",
"local_port":1080,
"password":"your_passwd",
"timeout":600,
"method":"chacha20-ietf"
}

Replace the red-colored text with your info. In nano text editor, press CTRL+O to save the file, CTRL+X to exit. Then start shadowsocks server with the below command

Code:
ss-server -c /etc/sslibevconfig.json

To let it automatically start when Ubuntu 16.04 server is booted, we can put this command into /etc/rc.local file. edit natin yung rc.local file at insert yung command para everytime na restart mo server auto start na shadowsocks mo

Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Add the ss-server command above exit 0. Save and close the file.

Explanation of each field:

• server: your hostname or server IP.
  • server_port: server port number.
  • local_port: local port number.
  • password: a password used to encrypt transfer.
  • timeout: connections timeout in seconds.
  • method: Available encryption method are, “bf-cfb”, “aes-256-cfb”, “des-cfb”, “rc4”, etc. Default is table, which is not secure. The following AEAD ciphers are recommended. Compliant Shadowsocks implementations must support AEAD_CHACHA20_POLY1305. Implementations for devices with hardware AES acceleration should also implement AEAD_AES_128_GCM, AEAD_AES_192_GCM, and AEAD_AES_256_GCM.

Code:
Name                            Alias
AEAD_CHACHA20_POLY1305         chacha20-ietf-poly1305
AEAD_AES_256_GCM                aes-256-gcm
AEAD_AES_192_GCM                aes-192-gcm
AEAD_AES_128_GCM                aes-128-gcm

you can avoid this if your the type that dont read disclaimer or terms and conditions etc.

Attachments

Last edited:
tutorial ko based sa tutorial ng iba(chinese) since medyo halo halo yung sa kanila since nagsetup ako ng sarili ko shadowsocks server for private use bale pinag sama sama ko na para one stop shop ito for gusto magkashadowsocks in a few minutes and more simplified tutorial

PS this is Shadowsocks libev yung latest version ng shadowsocks

Last edited:
sayang di ko ma view new lang account ko dito eh hehe
pero like padin! keep on sharing boss, sana pwede private message para sa tutorial mo regarding this :3

since libev to ito yung pinakalatest sa lahat ng series ng shadowsocks server sa ngaun at kaya iload facebook ng maayos via ssr,sscap client

kevin01523 kahit na ito ang pinakalatest hindi po ibig sabihin nito mag loload ng maayos ang mga sites like facebook etc etc. kulang-kulang yung tutorial mo sir kung sinasabi mong one-stop shop ito.

kevin01523 kahit na ito ang pinakalatest hindi po ibig sabihin nito mag loload ng maayos ang mga sites like facebook etc etc. kulang-kulang yung tutorial mo sir kung sinasabi mong one-stop shop ito.
no sapat na yan para sa solo user sice pang solo talaga yan yung sa script aus na yung complete way ay nasa loob na ng script kahit gamitin mo yung advanced way gagana since natest ko yan sa virtual machine local saka ko pa lang ginamit sa vps ko

pag shadow r or go or shadow python ayaw magload ng facebook ko pero ito nagloload if pc gamit ko

so hindi mo talaga na test lahat? mobile etc. kahit na ilang users yan paps mabilis padin yan kung kaya ng server mo. for stability shadowsocks kahit ano + kpctun just my 2 cents.

so hindi mo talaga na test lahat? mobile etc. kahit na ilang users yan paps mabilis padin yan kung kaya ng server mo. for stability shadowsocks kahit ano + kpctun just my 2 cents.
natest ko yan lahat i mean thoroughly sa mismong vps ko
i mean this only covers the server side im not saying anything on the client side

so what if may errors sa client side after setting up the server? diba nangyayari ang mga ganun pano po ma dedebug ng users? tapos sabi mo kayang iload ang facebook ng maayos diba clientside na yun tapos sabi mo yung tut only covers the server side? pano po mga users natin nyan na nag ssetup gamit ng tut mo tapos d mapagana ng maayos? d po to one-stop shop meron po kasi tayong ibang users na sa ibang hosting bibili ng server for a much cheaper price and what if debian yung naka install na OS at hindi ubuntu?

so what if may errors sa client side after setting up the server? diba nangyayari ang mga ganun pano po ma dedebug ng users? tapos sabi mo kayang iload ang facebook ng maayos diba clientside na yun tapos sabi mo yung tut only covers the server side? pano po mga users natin nyan na nag ssetup gamit ng tut mo tapos d mapagana ng maayos? d po to one-stop shop meron po kasi tayong ibang users na sa ibang hosting bibili ng server for a much cheaper price and what if debian yung naka install na OS at hindi ubuntu?
actually this covers the debian part since ubuntu is debian based as far as i know and as far as i know madami na nagkalat na tut dito sa client side of things and thats why i also recommended to install latest LTS version of ubuntu on their droplet and nakaindicate na naman na anu lang need na enter sa client details i doubt any noob will attempt to do this without atleast knowing how to use shadowsocks on the clientside na gusto magkaroon ng sarili server

if i were to cover client side etc and everything that simple tutorial will become complicated and not noob friendly and also if i were to cover what you want the title wont be applicable and out of CONTEXT mind you and will be a bit offtopic and i see you cant see the easier side of the installation since naka spoiler

also nagloload facebook sakin facebook as is with that tutorial im using multiple kinds of vpn and shadowsocks ko sa vps im using right now and the one that can only properly load facebook is the libev version without doing anything extra

P.S. i want to keep this thread short and simple if you have concerns ill answer them here to avoid spam etc since laganap dito and this thread is a good starting point for deploying your own server and this thread is intented for private users.

Last edited:
sorry mean centos not debian, was sleepy yesterday. back to topic.

yes i couldn't see your so called "easier side of installation" since im not at the established group.

syempre mag loload ng maayos si facebook dahil solong solo mo si server pero do you know that d parin yan stable? do you know why? wala kasing keep-alive si shadowsocks.

if you think im spamming then so be it.

P.S
and fyi info latest lang yang libev mo on the surface kung alam mo lang kung ano ginagawa ni breakwa11 ngayon malalaman mo na ahead parin ang SSR sa lahat ng SS.

sorry, i was so sleepy yesterday and didn't mean debian what i mean is CentOS and other OS'es.

yes i couldn't see it since im still not in the established group but i know what lies in there.

i could load facebook faster and alot more stable with SSR which is hindi valid yung point mo na ss-libev lang ang nakakapagload ng facebook without doing anything extra.

if you think im just spamming then so be it.
and FYI hindi po lastest version ni shadowsocks si shadowsocks-libev. shadowsocks-libev is a libev port of shadowsocks. and btw here's a proof na active at ongoing padin ang development ni SSR.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

i know ive been monitoring it since the backup i even forked it the instant i found it 3 weeks ago and it was last updated more than 10 days ago and yeah i think cn gov is taking action to take down ssr again and some parts of ss

and i didnt say only libev can load fb i say it loads on me but on ssr nope based on my tests even on go i have 2 droplets with very different configurations to be sure

yeah ssr client is good even im using it

YES the SSR "client"

so in the end whats your point?

im just saying hey there's other ss repo and port and the one being developed other than the original python one thats light and good on very cheap kind of vps can even work on 128mb vps

which is better depends on the circumstances of the user
behind GFW yeah ssr better

Last edited:
im using the SSR as the server and the client. every fork of SS would run any machine as it is minimal even on routers with 64mb of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back