What's new

Closed 25 free essential blogging tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

danixmarie

Honorary Poster
Reaction
Are you struggling to get to grips with all the new technology that seems to be part of the You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. experience?

So where do you start and how do you pick the good from the bad? Here's a round-up of the many free tools I use daily or weekly. Rest assured that all those useless tools I've tried and wasted my time on are not included.

These tools will actually help, not hinder you, as you You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now. They will help take you from blogging newbie to confident, efficient and well-seasoned blogger.

25 Free Blogging Tools

1. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Yes, there are other blogging platforms and some of them may be easier for new computer users and non-techies to use. But none of them is better than WordPress. While WordPress may be slightly harder to get started with because it offers more options, it's well worth the time investment. WordPress is still easy to use, yet powerful enough that it can adapt to do anything you want with your blog in the future.

Like many other bloggers I started with Blogspot and then changed to WordPress. Switching blogging platforms is a pain in the bum and will lose you readers so the quicker you change to WordPress the better.

If you haven't started blogging yet then choose WordPress as your blogging platform from day one. You'll thank me for it. If you already use WordPress then congratulations – you should be set for life.

ALSO READ: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

2. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

I have many email addresses which all automatically send to my Gmail email account. That way I can check all my emails from anywhere, any time – even if I'm not at my computer since Gmail is web-based. I use the archive to store emails that have been replied to, labels to sort mail so, such as all invoices are stored in one place and easily browsed, and stars to highlight important emails.

Best of all every single email is backed up free of charge and I'll never need to change my email address when I change Internet Service Provider or move overseas.

3. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

I use Google Analytics to see which of my blog posts are the most popular and check which websites send me the most readers. I also use it as a reliable source of reader demographics and site statistics which I share with advertisers and sponsors in my media kit.

4. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Mailchimp is an email management system that tracks your email subscribers. It’s currently free up for lists with up to 2,000 subscribers which should be enough for new bloggers, then there’s a monthly charge after that. MailChimp has great statistics so you can check how many emails sent actually get opened.

5. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

You can capture anything including Web pages, images, text, and voice notes with Evernote which is available as an app for your cell phone or iPad as well as web-based. Your notes can then be accessed later from just about anywhere via a computer or mobile device. You can also use Evernote search through all of your notes so you can find the information you need fast.

6. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

My Hours is an online time-tracking tool to help you work out where all those hours in the day disappear to and see which tasks take more time than they should. I've just started using it to track how my time is spent in a bid to increase productivity. It seems easy to use and useful too.

7. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Rapportive is a free add-on to your Gmail account which shows you your contacts' LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages right inside your inbox. You can then connect with them on those social media sites without leaving Gmail. In other words you don't have to zip off to Twitter to follow them, Facebook to friend them and LinkedIn to connect with them. It can all be done quickly and easily from one place making you look like a consummate professional with a real interest in garnering your connections.

8. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

There are no excuses for not backing up your work now. Dropbox offers free automatic storage of all your files for up to 2GB.

You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

WeTransfer is handy free tool for sending big files like PowerPoint presentations or videos which can't be emailed.

10. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Open Office offers free word processing, spreadsheet and database management software so you don't need to buy Microsoft Office.

11. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Free phone calls all over the world, instant messaging, free video calls and free conference calls are all available once you download Skype. We live in an amazing world. Let's take advantage of it.

12.You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Blog survey results and blog survey tipsGoogle docs is handy for sharing documents online but best of all you can use it to create free online surveys with the results all shown in pretty pie charts like this one.

13. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Google calendar is part of Gmail. The calendar sends me reminders of my appointments every morning and I can update it from my cell phone too when I'm out and about. I've also just given my hubby access to my calendar so he can see what I'm up to without having to ask me. Hmmm, there could be some drawbacks to that though.

14. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Have you got a little image which displays when you leave a blog comment or are you stuck with the default grey man? If you're a grey man hurry over to Gravatar (it stands for globally recognised avatars) and spend a few minutes uploading a fab photo of your dear self. This is such an important part of your online branding but one which many new bloggers overlook.

15. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Once you have a Google email account you can use Google Reader to follow all your favourite blogs from one spot so you'll be able to find out when they're updated without actually visiting them.

16. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Search the Flickr's creative commons for photos that will make your blog posts pop like the one up top. Just be sure to add a photo credit at the end of your post.

17. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

PayPal drives me nuts. Their anti-money-laundering policies are so stringent that almost everyone who ever receives payment via PayPal seems to get their entire account frozen at some point. It took us months to get it sorted out when it happened to us. But it's still the best way to send and receive money internationally which you'll need to do if you want to buy blogging resources or earn money by selling products or services through your blog.

18. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

This is a tool in the Chrome browser which is far and away the easiest way to compare time zones and work out a time that will suit you and your overseas clients when you want to book consultations or a Skype call. First you need to download and install Chrome then add the easy clock app to it.

19.You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

I've just treated myself to Dragon Naturally Speaking ρrémíùm which is speak recognition software for your computer. Yes, no more typing. The free Dragon dictation app has limited capacity but you can use it on your cell phone or tablet to record short messages or conversations which is handy.

20. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Hootsuite is a social media management tool that let’s you manage Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn from one dashboard. I love it because it allows you to add RSS feeds so you can auto-tweet blog posts, both your own and on other blogs. The free version lets you add two RSS feeds and will give you an idea if it's worth spending a small fee each month for the professional version.

21. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Focus Booster uses the Pomodoro technique to increase your productivity. It times you for 25 minutes then gives you five minutes off. Wash, rinse and repeat. Productivity magically increases and time-wasting is a thing of the past.

22. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

One of the most important factors in regards to your blog’s performance is its loading speed. Bitcatcha’s proprietary server speed checker tool allows users to assess their website server performance from eight locations worldwide. The test results include a benchmark of your blog’s hosting performance against the top 10,000 sites on the web.

23. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Cloud storage and a great way to send large files effortlessly. Check it out this post on sending large files.

24. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

The term VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. Basically is a series of computers networked together over the Internet.

25. You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Check out how to create free invoices at Invoice Home.

Now don't just read this list and bookmark it, although you should do that too. Start downloading what you need so you have all the tools at your fingertips and can get blogging faster and more efficiently than ever before.

Then getting to grips with new technology won't be such hard work, technology will be working for you.

What are your favorite blogging tools?

Like this post? Please share it using the buttons below.

Happy Blogging!

More threads here: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.