1. Welcome to PHCorner Forums. Take a moment to Sign up and gain unlimited access and extra privileges that guests are not entitled to, such as:

    All that and more! Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!

Aldo OUT, Mendez IN to Fight McGregor

Discussion in 'Sports' started by PurpleFox, Jul 1, 2015.

  1. Conor McGregor will fight Chad Mendes at UFC 189 after featherweight champion Jose Aldo finally withdrew due to a rib injury.

    Mendes, a former two time title contender, will challenge Irishman McGregor for the interim featherweight title on July 11 in Las Vegas.

    Seven-time defending champion Aldo was hurt in training last week in Rio de Janeiro, with conflicting reports about the severity of his rib injury ranging from bruising to a broken bone, but was cleared by doctors to fight before pulling out.

    In the end, disappointed UFC president Dana White announced the Brazilian wouldn't be fit to compete on the much-anticipated pay-per-view grudge match.

    'Andre Pederneiras, his coach, called and basically said his rib is too painful and he will not be fighting, so Chad Mendes will now fight Conor McGregor for the interim belt,' White said on ESPN's SportsCenter.

    'Jose Aldo's pulled out of five title fights. Conor McGregor's ready to go, the No 1 guy in the world, Chad Mendes is ready to go, so it makes sense. They'll fight for the interim title and whenever Jose Aldo is ready, then that fight can happen to unify it.

    'It's (Aldo's) decision. I definitely don't feel great about it. We spent a lot of money promoting this fight. A lot of people are excited about the fight, so it's definitely disappointing.'
    White had initially played down reports that his headline act could be called off after Combate correspondent Ana Hissa broke the news on social media that Aldo had suffered an injury.

    The championship's honcho said on Twitter, 'Relax everyone', suggesting the clash at the MGM Grand Garden Arena would go ahead as planned.

    Dubliner McGregor had claimed he would need only four minutes to finish the fight against fierce rival Aldo and on Twitter after the announcement posted: 'They can run. But they can't hide.'

    As the UFC looked to transfer the focus to McGregor's fight with Mendes, the Irishman said: 'If a man is scared for his life, we can not force him to step inside and fight me.

    He added: 'Doctors have cleared him to fight - it's a bruise - but he still pulled out. Rightfully so, the belt should be taken from him and we will contest for the interim belt or, in my opinion, the real belt.'
    In feverish pre-fight promotion he said: 'I will show up prepared to kill. It will be decided in the first four minutes; he will be out on his feet. The shots I want to land will land and it will be a formality after that. How long he can take that is up to his chin,' he said during the pre-fight promotion.

    The postponing of the fight comes at great cost after the UFC spent millions on a five country media tour to drum up interest.

    However, Mendes will relish the chance to get in the ring and a step closer to another chance at Aldo, the man who's inflicted the 30-year-old's only two professional losses.
    Mendes suffered his first pro defeat to Aldo at UFC 142 via a controversial finish at 4mins 59 seconds in the first round. The champion held the Octagon fence to avoid a takedown before kneeing Mendes in the head to end the fight.

    Aldo pulled out of the scheduled August 2014 rematch which was supposed to be top of the bill at UFC 176.

    They finally faced off in October last year, at UFC 179, and the wait was worth it with Mendes becoming the first fighter to put Aldo on the canvas with a left hand in the first round. Both fighters gave as good as they got before Aldo won a close unananimous decision and Mendes won his first fight of the night bonus.
    noizyboy likes this.
Tags / Keywords: